I love you… hm!
My skinny little nephew, Nikhil, is obsessed with pancakes, and that’s putting it mildly.
At times I question if he’s even my nephew since he isn’t a fan of eating, however if he is served pancakes, the kid will wipe his plate clean.
On a Sunday morning at 8:30 AM, he came over to wake me up while I was still passed out, what can I say, I love to sleep.
FYI… Honey is me. Masi means aunt.
Nikhil (in the sweetest voice): Honey Masi, wake up it’s 8:30. I’m ready for my breakfast.
me: You’re already up? You wake up so early. Why don’t you go sleep some more? Come back in 1/2 hour.
[ 1/2 hour later ]
Nikhil: Honey Masi. It’s 9 AM. Wake up. I’m waiting for my breakfast.
me: Okay. I’m waking up. Just a little while more. Shut the door when you leave. Thanks.
[ 1/2 hour later ]
Nikhil: Honey Masi. You sleep so much. Do you know it’s 9:30 AM? I’m waiting for my pancakes. You promised.
me: Yes, I did, didn’t I? That was dumb. Okay. I’m coming. Just a little while more.
[ 1/2 hour later ]
Nikhil: Honey Masi. You know it’s 10 AM. It’s so late. You know I haven’t eaten anything since morning. I’m hungry.
me: OKAY. I’ll wake up. Next time I’m gonna make you brunch, not breakfast. Okay come give me a hug and kiss.
To share with you are some amazing Blueberry Pancakes I made, and I also topped it off with a warm blueberry butter sauce on the side. Oh my, fluffy pancakes + a warm blueberry butter sauce is indescribably delicious.
These are the kind of pancakes worth waiting for, even if it is a 2 hour brunch wait @ Honey’s!
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is a great source of Protein and Fiber. Blueberries are a very good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. They are a good source of Vitamin E. In addition, blueberries are an ANTIOXIDANT POWERHOUSE. Milk is a very good source of Calcium and Vitamin D. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamins A and K. Eggs are a very good source of Vitamin B2, and are a good source Protein and Vitamin D, although the yolks do contain a lot of cholesterol, the yolk also contains tons of nutrients that are good for you.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 to 7 pancakes):
for the blueberry pancakes
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 1 1/4 cups
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Organic Egg Whites – 2 (beaten until stiff peaks form)
- Organic Egg Yolk – 1
- Organic Milk 1% Low Fat – 1 cup
- Organic Canola Oil – 1 tbsp
- Sugar in the Raw Turbinado Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Organic Blueberries – 1 cup
- Butter – just a glaze when cooking the pancakes
for the warm blueberry butter sauce
- Organic Blueberries – 1/2 cup
- Sugar in the Raw Turbinado Brown Sugar – 1 tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 1 tbsp (skip if fat is an issue, instead increase the sugar amount so the blueberry juices are released)
1. Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl… flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 egg whites, reserve 1 egg yolk for later use.
3. Using an electric mixer, mix for 3 minutes on high until stiff peaks form.
4. This is what you should have. Set aside.
5. In a medium size bowl, combine the wet ingredients… 1 egg yolk, milk, oil, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
6. Mix on high, the wet batter will be bubbly, thick, and creamy.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
8. Using a spoon, milk all the ingredients until well incorporated, however do not overmix.
9. Add the egg whites to the pancake batter. GENTLY FOLD in the egg whites. Using egg whites results in fluffy pancakes.
10. Should look like little iceburgs.
11. Add the blueberries and fold.
12. Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, glaze with butter. Using 1/3 cup as measurement, add the pancake batter to the pan.
13. After a couple minutes, flip. Should be perfectly golden brown. Continue doing this for the remaining pancakes.
Warm Blueberry Butter Sauce
14. Add 1/2 cup of blueberries to a small pot on medium heat.
15. Top with 1 tsp of brown sugar.
16. Once the sugar starts sticking to the bottom of the pot, add a tbsp of butter. Stir.
17. All the blueberry juices should release.
18. Top over a few pancakes and serve immediately.
TELL ME: What’s your favorite pancake flavor? Do you have kids/nieces/nephews who are picky eaters?