I started to cook again, and bake too. I started to blog again. I started to do things for myself, things that I once enjoyed, and doing those things didn’t seem as mechanical to me anymore. I started to feel at peace with myself and life.
On that note, I wish you all a very Happy New Year with this Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake. I hope you have a safe night spending time with friends/family. Here’s to 2017 bringing us health, love, happiness and peace on earth! I’m hopeful.
Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake
for the cake
- All Purpose White Flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Baking Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup 1 stick
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Organic Eggs - 2
- Pure Vanilla Extract - 1 1/2 tsp
- Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
- Organic Fresh Cranberries - 1 1/2 cups or 6 ounces sliced in half
for the crumb topping
- Slivered Almonds - 1/3 cup
- Light Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Unsalted Butter - 2 tbsp softened
- All Purpose White Flour - 1/4 cup
- Ground Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a round 9" baking tray with butter and flour. Throw away the excess flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the cake... flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat for about 5 minutes using an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat for a few more minutes until light and creamy in texture.
- Now add the half the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk. And then add the remaining dry ingredients. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Here is your batter.
- Add the chopped cranberries and using a spatula, fold into the batter.
- Spread the cake batter into the greased 9" tray.
- Now make the crumb topping by combining all the ingredients into a bowl. Stir well.
- Add the crumb topping over the cranberry cake.
- Into the oven for 40 minutes, you may start checking the cake at the 35 minute mark.
- Serve warm or cold.