Eggless Chocolate Pecan Cake is moist and delicious and topped with the most incredible butter pecan frosting.
My Chocolate Pecan Cake was inspired by the Chocolate Depression Cake which is a vegan cake that was popular during The Great Depression when there was a shortage of milk and eggs.
What is Chocolate Pecan Cake?
Of course, I modified the recipe and added sour cream, and hot coffee to really bring out the chocolate flavor in the cake. I also spiked the cake with some spiced rum.
For the frosting, I wanted to go with a butter pecan frosting with bits of pecans in the frosting. It's my favorite and so delicious.
The combo of chocolate cake and butter pecan frosting is sensational. I hope you guys give it a try for the holidays.
Ingredients for Chocolate Pecan Cake
- All-Purpose Flour - You can use white flour or if you want to use gluten-free flour, that works too.
- Sugar - I used organic cane sugar.
- Cocoa Powder - You'll need unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe - I love the following brands - this, this, this, and this.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder - These are leavening agents which help the cake rise.
- Sour Cream - This helps keep the cake super moist.
- Vinegar - You'll need a tablespoon of vinegar which helps the cake rise.
- Coffee - A hot cup of fresh coffee really helps enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Oil - Any flavorless oil works, such as Avocado or Sunflower.
- Vanilla - Be sure to use pure vanilla extract.
- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum - I used spiced rum, alternatively, you may use bourbon or whiskey. You can't really taste the alcohol since it gets absorbed. You may skip the alcohol if you wish.
- Water - A little water to help keep the cake moist.
- Brown Sugar - You'll need some brown sugar when making the frosting - this adds a nice toffee flavor.
- Pecans - Pecans will be added to the frosting and on top.
- Butter - Cold unsalted butter that'll be melted on low heat on a stove. We need butter to make the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar - You'll need 1 ¾ cups of powdered sugar for the frosting.
Why You'll Love this Chocolate Pecan Cake
- The Chocolate and Butter Pecan combo is to die for
- Rich, Moist & Delicious
- It's an Eggless Cake
- The cake goes perfectly with coffee
- Gluten-free option (see FAQ below)
How to make Chocolate Pecan Cake step by step
Make the Eggless Chocolate Cake
1. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl - all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add sugar right after.
2. Add the wet ingredients - coffee, water, oil, vanilla, spiced rum
, vinegar, and sour cream.
3. Mix well, but don't overmix.
4. Pour the eggless chocolate batter into a greased 9" x 9" square pan.
5. Place into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Your cake should rise and look perfect. Make sure the cake is completely cool before you frost it.
Make the Butter Pecan Frosting
1. In a small pan, add milk, butter, and brown sugar. Cook on low-medium heat while occasionally stirring.
2. Cook until bubbles form. Turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool for about 15-20 minutes. You need to make sure you do this otherwise you'll end up with liquid frosting which will look more like a glaze.
3. In the meantime, chop the pecans.
4. Pour the cooled brown sugar mixture over 1 cup of powdered sugar.
5. Use an electric mixer to prepare the frosting.
6. Add another ½ - ¾ cup of powdered sugar so the frosting isn't as liquidy.
7. Beat the mixture for another minute.
8. Add ½ teaspoon vanilla. Beat for another minute.
9. Add chopped pecans. Mix for a few seconds.
10. Pour the frosting over the cooled chocolate cake. My frosting was slightly runny, but it was perfect once it settled over the cake.
11. Your cake is ready. Cut into 16 squares once the frosting has been set.
12. Garnish with pecans. Enjoy the cake with a cup of coffee. It's amazing!
Tips to make Chocolate Pecan Cake
- Make sure the sour cream is at room temperature.
- I always recommend having all your ingredients out on the kitchen counter before you bake - it makes the process less stressful.
- Do not overmix the batter else it'll result in a tough cake.
- Let the cake completely cool before frosting it.
- For the frosting - make sure you let the milk, butter, and brown sugar combo completely cool before adding it to the powdered sugar, else your frosting may be liquidy.
- This cake makes 16 small squares which are perfect. If you prefer bigger squares, you may do 12 squares.
- The coffee in this cake complements the chocolate, hence I recommend serving this cake with a cup of coffee.
Allergic to nuts?
Skip the nuts - If you have a nut allergy, simply skip the nuts. For garnish, you may use pumpkin seeds which would look really pretty over the frosting.
Coconut - Additionally, you may top off this cake with some toasted coconut flakes which would give it German Chocolate Cake vibes!
Chocolate Shavings - Lastly, you may do some chocolate shavings over the frosting which would look gorgeous.
Don't like pecans?
Walnuts - If you simply don't like pecans, walnuts would be delicious in the frosting and as a garnish. I personally wouldn't recommend using almonds, cashews, or peanuts.
If it's cold outside, you may store this cake outside and place it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If it's warm outside, then store this cake in an airtight container and refrigerate. This cake will be good for about 5 days in the fridge.
- The cake must be completely cool before you frost it.
- The brown sugar mixture should be completely cool before adding it to the powdered sugar.
Yes. Simply use gluten-free white flour
Yes, this cake is eggless.
Yes. You may totally skip the alcohol and no it won't affect the flavor much.
You can use walnuts if you prefer. You can also skip the nuts if you're allergic.
Pin & Enjoy!
📖 Recipe Card
Chocolate Pecan Cake
for the cake
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon bakng powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ cup coffee
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon spiced rum, I used Captain Morgan, whiskey/bourbon work too
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
for the frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¾ cups confectioners sugar, divided, start with 1 cup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
Make the Eggless Chocolate Cake
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl - all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add sugar right after.
- Add the wet ingredients - coffee, water, oil, vanilla, spiced rum, vinegar, and sour cream.
- Mix well, but don't overmix.
- Pour the eggless chocolate batter into a greased 9" x 9" square pan.
- Place into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Your cake should rise and look perfect. Make sure the cake is completely cool before you frost it.
Make the Butter Pecan Frosting
- In a small pan, add milk, butter, and brown sugar. Cook on low-medium heat while occasionally stirring.
- Cook until bubbles form. Turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool for about 15-20 minutes. You need to make sure you do this otherwise you'll end up with liquid frosting which will look more like a glaze.
- In the meantime, chop the pecans.
- Pour the cooled brown sugar mixture over 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Use an electric mixer to prepare the frosting.
- Add another ½ - ¾ cup of powdered sugar so the frosting isn't as liquidy.
- Beat the mixture for another minute.
- Add vanilla. Beat for another minute.
- Add chopped pecans. Mix for a few seconds.
- Pour the frosting over the cooled chocolate cake. My frosting was slightly