Hello, Black Bean Mexican Skillet Eggs. My inspiration for this dish comes from a Shakshuka dish I made a few years ago.
These eggs are delicious, healthy and hearty. I threw in some black beans for extra protein. The best part is these eggs can be made in one pan – I recommend the Lodge Cast-Iron Skillet.
But how would this dish be classified as Mexican without any cheese? You gotta have cheese! Since I was unable to find queso fresco, I opted for Smoked Cheddar which adds depths of flavor and a little bit goes a long way. I finished off these eggs with scallions, cilantro, avocado and a squirt of fresh lime juice.
Black Bean Mexican Skillet Eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Red Onion - 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Green Pepper - ½, chopped
- Jalapeno - ½, chopped
- Cherry Tomatoes - 1 - 16 ounce box, sliced in half
- Organic Diced Tomatoes No Salt - 1 - 15 ounce can
- Dried Oregano - 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon for later
- Chili Powder - 1 tsp, American Chili Powder, not Cayenne
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper - ¼ tsp
- salt - to taste
- Organic Black Beans - 1 - 15 ounce can
- Organic Eggs - 4 large, you can use up to 6 eggs in this recipe
- Smoked Cheddar - ½ cup, grated
- Fresh Cilantro - small handful, chopped
- Scallions - small handful, chopped
- Avocado - ¼ of an avocado per serving, diced
- Fresh Lime Juice - just a squeeze
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat up a 10" cast-iron skillet on low-medium heat, once hot add oil. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Stir. Allow this to cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden.
- Chop the green pepper and jalapeno.
- Add the green pepper and jalapeno. Season with a little salt and black pepper. Allow this took for about 3-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and season with a little more salt, 1 teaspoon oregano, chili powder and cumin powder. Stir.
- Now add the organic canned tomatoes as well.
- Cover with a lid and allow the tomatoes to cook down for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, grate the cheese and chop the cilantro and scallions.
- Open up a can of black beans, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Back to the tomatoes, this is what you should have.
- Using a masher, mash the cherry tomatoes down. Cook the tomatoes for about 2 minutes so some of the liquid evaporates.
- Add the black beans to the tomatoes. Stir.
- Make a well in the tomato mixture and crack and egg over it. I just used 4 eggs, but you can use up to 6.
- Cover with a lid and allow this to cook for 7 minutes. For slightly more runny eggs, cook allow the eggs to cook for only 5 minutes.
- This is what you should have. Turn off the stove.
- Top with cheese.
- Add another ½ teaspoon of oregano over the eggs - because it just tastes so good.
- Top with scallions and cilantro.
- Serve with avocado and a squirt of lime juice. Also, you can serve this dish with corn tortillas, bread, pita bread, or just eat alone for a lower carb option.
** For cheese, use queso fresco for a traditional Mexican flavor. I wasn't able to find any, so I used Smoked Cheddar. Spicy Buffalo Cheddar or New York Sharp Cheddar would work well too.
*** For eggs, I used 4 eggs, but feel free to use up to 6 eggs for this dish. Also, you can create this dish using just egg whites for a low-fat option.
Pin for later
How do you like your eggs? Do you like skillet eggs?