The night before I was so excited and anxious that I barely got any sleep. The show airs at 7 AM, so I had to be out the door by 4:30 AM. I felt so special when a Black SUV picked me up and the driver said, “I’m here from ABC for Nisha!”
Once I arrived at ABC Studios in Times Square, I went through security and finally made it up to the Good Morning America Green Room. One of the perks of being on TV is getting your hair and makeup done by a highly skilled professional. I was extremely happy with the outcome! I also met my competitor of the cook-off Tayo who is based out of LA and has his own blog.
At 5:45 AM, the producer came around and rehearsed what we were going to say and do. It was fun for me to see all the moving pieces that go into making a show successful, especially one that is LIVE. Everyone on the set was super friendly – Michael Strahan, Jesse Palmer (who was once a BACHELOR), and Lara Spencer. I don’t think I’ve been in a room where I’ve seen so much energy. It’s great to see people this happy and lively so early in the morning!
For this particular Farmers’ Market segment, the secret ingredient was corn. I decided to whip up a dish that would please everyone’s palette and opted for BBQ Chicken Corn Quesadillas. In case you missed the clip, here it is on ABC!
I prepared my quesadillas with caramelized onions, chicken, BBQ sauce, and cheddar cheese on whole wheat tortillas.
These BBQ Chicken Corn Quesadillas are sweet, savory and have a slight kick. As Lara Spencer said on the show when she first tasted them, “I love the quesadilla.“ The grilled corn and caramelized onions add so much flavor to this dish.
Garnish with cilantro, pico de gallo, salsa, or sour cream, but you must have avocado. Avocado makes everything better! A BIG THANK YOU TO THE PRODUCERS OF ABC & GOOD MORNING AMERICA! You guys made my day! The experience was surreal and one that I will never forget! Thank you!!!
BBQ Chicken & Corn Quesadillas as featured on Good Morning America! (7 Ingredients or Less, High Protein, High Fiber, 100% Whole Wheat)
- <b>for the corn</b>
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tsp
- Organic Frozen Corn* – 3/4 cup grilled
- <b>for the chicken & quesadillas</b>
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper – 1 tsp use 1/2 tsp for less heat
- Onion – 1 medium sliced
- Organic Chicken Breast – 1 breast about 1 pound small cubes
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce & Marinade – 1/3 cup
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – very very little (the bbq sauce and cheese have salt)
- Trader Joe’s 100% Handmade Whole Wheat Tortillas - 4
- Mild Cheddar Cheese – about 2 cups grated
- Run the frozen corn under cold water and dry.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add a teaspoon of oil. Add the corn. Cook for 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, slice the onion. Set aside.
- Then cut the chicken breast into small cubes.
- Once the corn is done, this is what you will have. Love those grill marks. Remove the corn from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, add a tablespoon of oil. Add the onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes until caramelized.
- In the meantime, grate the cheddar cheese.
- Once the onions are done, this is what you should have.
- Move the onions to the side of the skillet and add the cubed chicken breast. Also add crushed pepper flakes. Stir and cook the chicken for about 6 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- This is what you should have.
- Now add the BBQ sauce to the chicken.
- Also add the corn.
- Season with black pepper, and VERY LITTLE salt, there is enough salt in the BBQ sauce and cheese. Stir around for 1-2 minutes and turn off the stove.
- Heat up another cast-iron skillet on low heat (dial #3). Once hot, spray with extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the tortilla to the pan. Cook on one side for about a minute.
- Flip. Now add the cheese on half the side, top with bbq chicken.
- And top with some more cheese.
- Fold the quesadilla over and gently press down with a lid so the quesadilla crisps up.
- Cook on each side for a few minutes and then flip.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream or avocado! Serve immediately.
Pin for later!
What do you fill your quesadillas with? Have you ever added corn to a quesadilla?