Mexican Tortilla Pizza
A copycat version of Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza. It's vegetarian, cheesy and so delicious.
DietVegetarian. Gluten-Free option.
Servings 4 servings
for the baked tortillas
- 8 wheat corn tortillas 2 tortillas per pizza, I like Trader Joe's organic brand
- avocado oil to brush both sides of tortilla
for the beans
- 1 15 ounce can organic pinto refried beans salsa style I like Trader Joe's
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning I like Trader Joe's
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
for the veggies, cheese, salsa (divided in 4 servings)
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 jalapeno deseeded & chopped
- 2 stalks scallions chopped
- 1 1/3 cup mexican cheese shredded
- few spoonfuls salsa or taco bell sauce
Bake the Tortillas
Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Line a tray with foil.
Place 2 tortillas on a flat surface and lightly brush both sides of the tortilla with avocado oil.
Once preheated, put the tray in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes total, 5 minutes on each side so flip halfway. You can add multiple tortillas at a time.
Tortillas are done.
Make the Beans & Chop Veggies
In the meantime, make the beans. Empty the contents of the refried beans into a pot and cook on medium heat.
Add 1/4 cup of water and taco seasoning. Do not add salt since the taco seasoning has enough salt.
In the meantime, chop an onion. Add the onion to the beans. Once heated through, turn off the stove.
Chop the tomatoes, scallions, and jalapeno. Set cheese aside.
Assemble Mexican Pizza
Spread a couple of dollops of beans over the tortilla.
Top off with a little salsa and spread. Use your favorite salsa, or even Taco Bell sauce will work.
Place the second piece of tortilla on top.
Now top with salsa again. Spread.
Top with scallions, tomatoes, and jalapeno.
Top with cheese, make sure you get the sides.
Place the Mexican Tortilla Pizza back on the foiled tray and into the oven at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. Check after 3 minutes.
Mexican Pizza is ready. Cut into 4 pieces and serve hot with Taco Bell sauce. You can also garnish with onions, cilantro, or sour cream.
Mexican Tortilla Pizza
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g50%
Vitamin A 437IU9%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.