I baked “The Ultimate Cheesecake” on Christmas Eve; this was a special request by my “Junior-Chef” niece, Rhea. I find a lot of cheesecakes to be heavy, dense, thick, and rich, this recipe by Tyler Florence is extremely light. It is velvety smooth and melts in your mouth. The first time I tried this recipe, I was sold, now this is the only cheesecake I make.
This recipe is quite fattening, even when reduced fat, so I usually bake Cheesecake around the Holidays. With my version, I was able to lower the calories by 14% and the fat by 20%. You can take it one step even further by skipping the crust and lower the fat and calories. In this recipe, I used store bought crust, however going forward I need to invest in an 8″ round baking pan designed for Cheesecakes, this way I can control the fat in the crust.
MODIFICATIONS I MADE:
- Instead of using Regular Cream Cheese, I used 1 bar of Neufchatel Cheese and 1 bar of Regular Cream Cheese.
- Tyler’s recipe calls for full fat sour cream, I used 2 cups of Reduced Fat Sour Cream.
- Instead of 3 eggs, I used 2 eggs and 1 egg white – it works! That saved about 5 grams of fat.
- I used store bought crust. Going forward I will skip the crust all together, you really don’t need it.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (with store bought crust):
TYLER FLORENCE’S “THE ULTIMATE CHEESECAKE” – REDUCED FAT (adapted from Food Network)
~ yields 12 generous slices @ 325 degrees in a water bath.
~ lowered fat by 20%; lowered calories by 14% (using my modifications)
INGREDIENTS for Cheesecake:
- Regular Cream Cheese – 8 ounces
- Neufchatel Cream Cheese – 8 ounces
- Eggs – 2
- Egg White – 1
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Reduced Fat Sour Cream – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1 zested
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS for Lemon Blueberry Topping:
- Sugar – 2 tbsp sugar
- Blueberries – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1 zested
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.