My mom makes this dish in a Kadai, it is so mouth watering! Traditionally, this dish does require a decent amount of oil, however I used 2 tbsp which is much less than what is normally required. Kadai Aloo Baingan is my goto dish when I don’t have much time on my hands.
NUTRITION: This dish is rich in Fiber, Vitamins B1, and C.
Oil – 2 tbsp
Brinjals – 7 to 8 (sliced from the top in a + shape… demonstrated below)
Potatoes – 2 to 3 (boiled & cubed to avoid additional oil)
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Dhaniya Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Mango Powder – 2 tsp (more if desired)
1. Boil/Microwave the potatoes. Peel and cube. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Set aside the spices, chili powder, dhaniya powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix. This will be used to stuff the brinjals. Reserve about 1-2 tsp for the potatoes.
3. Cut the brinjals in the following + shape.
4. Stuff each brinjal with the spices.
5. Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Add oil. Cook the brinjals on high for about 5 minutes. Switch the flame to low-medium heat; cover and cook for 20-30 minutes. The steam will cook the brinjals down. “Patience is a virtue” 🙂
6. Once the brinjals become soft and shrivel up, check to see if they are fork tender. Once done, remove brinjals from the pan.
7. In the same pan on medium-high heat, without adding additional oil, add the diced potatoes, add 1-2 tsp of the remaining seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly golden. Season with salt.
8. Add the brinjals to the potatoes and add mango powder. Cook for a couple minutes and remove from heat. Serve with roti.