- I used ¼ cup Unsweetened Applesauce and ¼ cup Canola Oil. I lowered the oil content by 50%... I did not want to replace all the fat in the recipe... it is cake after all.
- I used 2% milk and Low Fat Yogurt.
- I didn't use any Zucchini.
- I added ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- I added a ¼ teaspoon of Almond Extract... this may be dominating for some of you.
- For the frosting, I used Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and 1 teaspoon of Instant Espresso.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING w.FROSTING (yields 12 slices)
Calories: 246 cals
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
Carbs: 35 g
Protein: 2.8 g
Fiber: 2.1 g
EGGLESS MOCHA CHOCOLATE CAKE - REDUCED FAT (adapted from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking)
- All Purpose Flour - ¼ cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - ¾ cup
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Baking Powder - ½ tsp
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 6 tbsp
- Sugar - ¾ cup
- Unsweetened Applesauce - ¼ cup
- Canola Oil - ¼ cup
- Hot Coffee - ¼ cup hot water and 1 teaspoon Medaglia D'Oro Espresso
- 2% Milk - ¼ cup
- Low Fat Yogurt - ¼ cup
- Vanilla Extract - ¾ tsp
- Almond Extract - ¼ tsp
6. Once the cake is slightly cool, remove from the pan and allow it to cool completely before frosting.
- Unsalted Butter - 2 tbsp
- Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips - 2 tbsp
- Medaglia D'Oro Espresso - ½ to 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar - 1 cup
- Milk - 2 - 3 tbsp
1. Heat a pot of water. When it begins to boil, add a bowl above it, make sure the bowl is not touching the hot water.
2. Add the butter, chocolate chips, and espresso. Allow this to melt.
3. Once it melts, remove from the heat and add the sugar and milk, alternating to achieve desired consistency. 2 - 3 tablespoon of milk should do it.
4. Once the cake cools... spread the frosting over the cake.
FROSTING RATING: ****½ of 5
The frosting was a tad bit sweet, you may want to lower the sugar a little bit, or it may be perfect for your liking. The frosting was really really good considering it only had 2 tablespoon of butter. You can lower the fat by using cocoa powder, instead of chocolate chips.
OVERALL RATING: *****/5
Texture: The texture of the cake was light and spongy.