What do you do with leftover carrots, besides making the obvious, Carrot Cake? Well, if you aren't going to indulge in delicious Carrot Cake, I suggest you try this Carrot Fry recipe. It is surprisingly good, healthy, and look, all the colors of India can be seen in this dish... orange, green, and white (milk).
OK, so I'll be honest here, carrots are not exactly my favorite vegetable when it comes to Indian food, but when cooked with aromatic Indian spices, it can be tasty. This isn't my favorite dish, but it is good to have for a change. This version of Carrot Fry is made Andhra style, hence this dish is quite spicy... the milk will tone down the spice a notch. Note, if you can't handle the spice, use 1 green chili. I prefer this dish with rice, nice and hot! Hope you like it.
NUTRITION: Carrots are LOADED with Vitamin A (eyes). Also, it is a very good source of Fiber, Vitamins C and K. Milk adds some Calcium to this dish.
- Oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Carrots - 16 oz bag or 10 carrots (chopped)
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Curry Leaves - a few
- Urad Dal - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder - ¼ tsp
- Dhaniya Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp
- Milk 1% / 2% - ½ cup
- salt to taste
DIRECTIONS: 1. Here is what you'll need. Chop the garlic, onion, green chillies and carrots.
2. Set aside the seeds you will need for tempering. You will need to work fast.
3. Add oil to a pan on low-medium heat (dial #4). Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Saute until the color of the seeds starts to change.
4. Add the tumeric powder, saute for a few seconds.
5. Add the green chillies and curry leaves. Careful, it will splutter. Cook for a minute.
6. Add the onions, garlic, and salt. Allow this saute for 5 minutes, or until it becomes golden brown.
7. After 5 minutes, add the carrots and dhaniya powder, red chili powder, and salt. Combine.
8. Cover with a lid and set the heat to dial #3. Allow this to cook on slow fire for about 20-25 minutes, keep stirring and checking in between. The steam will soften the carrots.
9. Once the carrots are soft, add garam masala. Combine.
10. Finally, add the milk and mix well. Cook for a couple minutes and turn off the stove.