BBQ Jackfruit Tacos that look and taste like chicken.
When you’re in love with a carnivore man, you’ll quickly find ways to fool him with healthier alternatives. I did just that when I made these delicious Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Tacos that taste just like chicken. I mean, c’mon, they certainly look like pulled pork or shredded chicken.
When I first handed my carnivore fiancé these tacos, he excitedly assumed I made him chicken tacos. Obviously, I let him think that.
He said nothing after the first bite, and then the second. He seemed to really enjoy these Jackfruit Tacos made with bell peppers, onions and barbecue sauce.
Once he was done devouring my jackfruit tacos, I asked him what he thought and what did he think he was eating. He said, “they were really good chicken tacos.”
Ahhhh.. the secret is in the barbecue sauce which totally masks the flavor of the jackfruit.
Give these a try, and I’m sure you too will be able to fool a meat lover. Enjoy!
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos (vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Jackfruit Tacos
- Avocado Oil - 1 tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves chopped
- Red Bell Pepper - ½ medium/large sliced
- Green Bell Pepper - ½ medium/large sliced
- Red Onion - ½ medium/large sliced
- Green Jackfruit - 1 20 ounce can drained/sliced
- Trader Joe's Organic Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Almond Flour Tortillas - these are paleo & vegan you can also use corn tortillas
- Fresh Cilantro - small handful chopped
- Red Onion - thinly sliced
- Avocado - 1 medium thinly sliced
- Fresh Lime - squirt on top
- Begin by slicing red and green bell peppers, red onions, and chop the garlic.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add oil, then add bell peppers, onions and garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes.
- Open a can of jackfruit. I got mine at Trader Joe's.
- Drain and chop/shred jackfruit.
- Once the veggies are slightly golden brown, add the jackfruit.
- Add the chili powder, cumin powder, black pepper and salt.
- Stir and let this cook for 5 minutes. Stir in between.
- In the meantime, chop up some cilantro, slice a little red onion, and slice an avocado.
- Now add the barbecue sauce.
- Top with cilantro. Stir again.
- Heat up tortillas in a toaster oven or on the stove.
- Add the jackfruit mixture and then top with avocado, red onions and cilantro with a squirt of lime juice. Serve immediately.
Do you like jackfruit? Are you able to tell the difference between jackfruit tacos and meat?