- Barilla Whole Grain Penna Pasta - 1 lb. box (I prefer macaroni)
- Butter - 2.5 tbsp (for the sauce, you can use more if you prefer)
- Butter - ½ tbsp (for the onions)
- Flour - 2 tablespoon
- Onion - 1 big (finely chopped)
- Milk - 4 cups (I used 2%, you can use 1% or Regular)
- Cheddar Cheese - 1 cup (you can use reduced fat if you prefer)
- Mozarella Cheese Part Skim - 1 cup
- All Spice/Nutmeg - ¼ tsp
- Garlic Powder to taste (I LOVE lots of garlic powder)
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- McCormick Paprika - 1 tsp
- Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs - 3 tbsp
- Parmesan Cheese - ⅓ to ½ cup
1. Set aside water to boil, should take 10-15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, chop the 1 onion finely and get all the other ingredients together - you will need to work fast.
3. Take a small pot/pan. Add ½ a tablespoon of butter and turn on heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook until golden translucent. This wil take about 5 minutes. Turn off the gas and set aside.
4. Add pasta to boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes exactly, until "Al Dente." At this time preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
5. Make the sauce. Take a 6 quart pot, add the butter, turn on the heat on medium.
6. Once the butter melts, add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes. This process will cook the flour and thicken the sauce slightly.
7. Now add the milk and whisk until the milk thickens. Add the spices - paprika, allspice/nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Whisk till the milk starts steaming, but not boiling.
REMINDER: Check on the pasta.
12. Top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. I went a little crazy on the bread crumbs, so you don't want to add too much, just enough to taste.
13. Put the dish in the oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the top is slightly golden and cheese bubbles. Outcome... yummy! Try it and provide your comments please.