Skip the processed frozen poppers and opt for these homemade Baked Jalapeno Poppers made with jalapeno, cream cheese, and panko crumbs.
Growing up, my biggest weakness was TGIF's frozen Jalapeno Poppers - they are seriously so good, but also super processed. I decided to come up with my own version years ago and somehow this recipe still hits the spot.
These super easy Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers are creamy, cheesy, and crunchy. I promise you won't miss the fried stuff because they're just that good. These Baked Jalapeno Poppers are made with real ingredients and they're scrumptious. Hope you guys try them.
What are Baked Jalapeno Poppers?
Baked Jalapeno Poppers are essentially sliced jalapenos that are stuffed with a cream cheese filling. Instead of deep frying the poppers, bake them. The jalapeno is then pressed onto panko crumbs and baked in the oven. These are the BEST Jalapeno Poppers that you will make as they are creamy, indulgent, and so easy to make.
Baked Jalapeno Poppers are:
Baked, not fried
Ingredients for Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapenos: Definitely use jalapenos and remove the seeds.
Panko Breadcrumbs: Alternatively, you may use Italian or Plain breadcrumbs, but I prefer panko bread crumbs.
Mexican Cheese Blend: A classic Mexican Cheese Blend or you may use medium cheddar cheese, or pepper jack cheese - both will work.
Spices: Paprika, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Salt.
How to make Baked Jalapeno Poppers recipe step by step?
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, add panko bread crumbs, ½ to 1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine cream cheese, milk, Mexican cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
3. Mix all the ingredients well.
4. Slice the top of the jalapeno. Then slice it in half.
5. Deseed the jalapenos completely.
1. Take a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.
2. Spread the cream cheese inside the jalapeno half.
3. Dip the cream cheese side of the jalapeno in panko crumbs.
4. Place on a baking sheet tray.
1. Place the baking tray in the oven.
2. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Your baked poppers are ready. Serve with ranch dressing and ketchup.
Jalapeno Poppers are a delicious snacky appetizer or side. They would the perfect side to burgers. You can also pair these with appetizers such as Buffalo Wings or Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms.
For the dipping sauce: I love jalapeno poppers with a side of ranch dressing and ketchup. You can also serve them up with blue cheese, but I loathe the taste of blue cheese so I can't.
Tips on making Baked Jalapeno Poppers:
- Slice the jalapenos in half and deseed completely.
- Prepare the panko crumb mixture.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling.
- Stuff each half of the jalapeno with the cream cheese filling.
- Then dip each jalapeno into the panko crumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I baked these in the toaster oven rather than a proper oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
For Vegan Jalapeno Poppers - use vegan cream cheese and Mexican cheese.
For Gluten-free Jalapeno Poppers - use gluten-free panko bread crumbs.
2. How do I cut the Jalapenos?
First, slice the head of the jalapeno off.
Second, slice each jalapeno in half - lengthwise.
Then, deseed each half of the jalapeno.
3. Are Baked Jalapeno Poppers healthy?
Well, I wouldn't exactly call this recipe healthy. With that said, it is a healthier option compared to the real thing. There is still a good amount of cheese and cream cheese in this recipe so this recipe is definitely not healthy.
4. What kind of cream cheese should I use?
I love using Philadelphia Cream Cheese, but I've also used organic cream cheese from Whole Foods. Both work really well.
For reduced-fat, you can also use Neufchatel cream cheese which tastes amazing - it's more like whipped cream cheese and you can find this at any grocery store.
5. What are Jalapeno Popper's filling ideas?
The cream cheese filling is made with cream cheese, cheese, and spices.
Here are some additional filling options:
- You can chop up some bacon and add it to the cream cheese filling.
- Chopped scallions or chives would be delicious in the filling.
- You can even add a touch of tomato paste or marinara sauce for a slight pizza flavor.
- Olives and sun-dried tomatoes combo would be lovely in here too.
6. What can I use instead of jalapenos?
If you're not a fan of jalapenos, you can use red, yellow, or orange bell peppers. I find these peppers to be a tad bit sweeter than green bell peppers. Follow the rest of the recipe exactly.
7. Can I make Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers?
Absolutely! I can imagine these would taste amazing in the air fryer. Place them in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 8 minutes and check to see if they need more time.
8. Aside from the Mexican Blend Cheese, what other cheese can I use?
You can use Cheddar Cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese, or Colby Cheese.
More Cheesy Recipes!
- Jalapeno Popper Garlic Bread
- Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms
- Masala Corn Spinach Toastie
- Burrata Caprese Crostini
- Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie
📖 Recipe Card
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
for the jalapenos
- 9 jalapenos, sliced in half & deseeded
for the crumb mixture
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, add panko crumbs, ½ to 1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine cream cheese, milk, Mexican cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Slice the top of the jalapeno. Then slice it in half.
- Deseed the jalapenos completely.
- Take a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread the cream cheese inside the jalapeno half.
- Dip the cream cheese side of the jalapeno in panko crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing and ketchup.