Chipotle Black Beans Baked Sweet Potatoes A satisfying, delicious and healthy-ish gluten-free meal. The cheese and chipotle peppers make this dish!
I keep thinking about my last day of work in New York City. The last day I get up and go to work will be painful. Taking that once dreadful subway ride to work has suddenly become bearable.
Walking into Starbucks and getting myself my usual Tall Pike is perhaps the happiest moment of my day. That first sip of coffee is heaven… yeah you coffee lovers know what I’m talkin’ about.
Once I get to work and check all my emails, I take a little break and enjoy my homemade Overnight Oats in a Jar.
And once my day is over, I contemplate if I wanna walk all the way home and window shop, or do I hit the gym. It’s an inner battle I struggle with almost every day.
These past couple months though, I made sure I walked and walked and walked in New York City to soak it all in. Sometimes I covered 9,000 steps, others 11,000, and one day I walked almost 15,000 steps.
So what am I gonna miss most? My routine! Waking up, commuting to work, getting my daily Starbucks coffee, enjoying the energy of this vibrant city, and just being able to walk everywhere without ever needing a car.
I’m so gonna miss my life here on the east-coast, but change is constant, and it’s time for the next chapter in my journey. It’s time to develop a new routine… finding that new coffee shop, making new friends, going for those beach walks, and driving everywhere. Not too shabby! 🙂
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 1½ tbsp sauce, chopped & smashed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can organic black beans
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 6 stalks of scallions, chopped
- 3-4 ounces of New York sharp cheddar, grated
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Wash the sweet potatoes and place in a toaster oven. I baked mine for 30 minutes at 450 degrees, and then toasted them for 20 minutes. You can also use a regular oven.
- Slice the bell peppers and onion, chop the garlic.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add oil, then add the peppers, onion and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes, until golden-brown.
- In the meantime, chop your chipotle peppers.
- Once cooked, add salt to taste, black pepper, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to the bell peppers. Lower the heat.
- Add black beans.
- Followed by water.
- Finally some taco seasoning.
- This is what you should have. Turn off the stove and set aside.
- Grate the cheddar cheese, chop the cilantro and scallions.
- Once your sweet potatoes are done, slice in half.
- Scoop out most (but not all) of the flesh of the sweet potato into a bowl.
- Add some (but not all) of the veggies.
- Stuff the sweet potatoes with the veggie mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese and scallions.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a toaster oven or until melty.
- This is what you should have.
- Top with more scallions and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.