You guys, I had to post this Spicy BBQ Sweet Potato Hash & Eggs recipe while it is still National Egg Month.
A good egg hash is one of my favorite go to brunch items since it’s a good way to clean out the fridge, not to mention it’s hearty, satisfying, and full of protein & good carbs.
Over the past few years I’ve made countless combinations of an egg hash that I can’t wait to share with you guys.
This concoction of sweet caramelized onions along with a sweet potato, sweet & spicy barbecue sauce with spicy crushed pepper complements the eggs beautifully.
All that barbecue flavor for brunch, minus standing in front of a hot grill.
Now who wouldn’t want that? Hope you give this Spicy BBQ Sweet Potato Hash & Eggs recipe a go while BBQ Season is on. Enjoy!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - ½ tsp
- Organic Sweet Potato – 2 large (small cubes)
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 (chopped)
- Red Onion – ½ medium (chopped)
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce & Marinade – 3 tbsp
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Salt – just a pinch (BBQ sauce has salt)
- Organic Eggs – 3-4 (cracked over)
- Chives – for garnish
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat.
- While the skillet heats up, peel the sweet potatoes.
- Once the skillet is hot, add oil and crushed red pepper. The pepper will sizzle, cook for 10 seconds or so.
- Add the sweet potato, stir and cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes uncovered.
- In the meantime, chop the green bell pepper and red onion. Stir the sweet potato in between.
- Once 8 minutes are up, add the bell pepper and onion to the sweet potato. Season with black pepper and just a pinch of salt (you don't need much since the bbq sauce has enough sodium).
- Stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 6 minutes. Stir in between to prevent burning.
- In the meantime chop the chives and set aside.
- Check on the sweet potato - should be fork tender.
- Now add barbecue sauce, I love this one from Trader Joe's, but you can use any kind.
- Stir and cook for about 1 minute until the sauce warms up.
- Now crack 3-4 eggs over the sweet potato.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 7 minutes. For slightly runny eggs cook for 5 minutes.
- Eggs are done.
- Garnish with chives. Serve immediately.
** For the eggs, you can use up to 4 eggs in this dish, and you may also use egg whites.
Pin for later!
What are your favorite ingredients in an egg hash?