The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies have been on my list F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
I was debating whether or not I should make these outrageously decadent cookies, but then I told myself, it’s holiday season with plenty of people around, and this is the only time of year most people indulge, like really indulge.
The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies were a huge hit among my family and friends, there wasn’t a single person who did not like them. Perfectly crinkled, buttery, sweet, crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside with a hint of sea salt that perfectly offsets some of the sweetness.
- Cake Flour – 2 cups minus 2 tbsp
- Bread Flour – 1⅔ cups
- Baking Soda – 1¼ tsp
- Baking Powder – 1½ tsp
- Salt – 1½ tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 2½ sticks (1¼ cups) - room temperature
- Light Brown Sugar – 1¼ cups
- Sugar – 1 cup plus 2 tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Dark Chocolate Chips – 3⅓ cups, at least 60% cacao content
- Sea Salt - for sprinkling over cookie dough
- Sift dry ingredients… cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter for a minute.
- Add the sugars and cream together for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, and eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, and mix on low speed until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- This is what you should have.
- Add the dark chocolate and incorporate them in without breaking them. You can also use a spatula here instead of the electric mixer and get a total arm workout.
- Here is your cookie dough.
- Press the plastic wrap against the cookie dough and refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours. I refrigerated my dough for 36 hours.
- I made 3 batches and baked them on 3 separate days.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking tray with unsalted butter.
- Grab a generous amount of cookie dough, the size of a golf ball or 3.5 ounce mound, and roll it into a rough ball. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. I baked 6 cookies at a time.
- Into the oven for 18-20 minutes. I baked mine exactly 18 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Perfect 5” cookies. Allow them to cool slightly before indulging. Definitely need to share these babies.
** Bread Flour substitute = 1 cup All Purpose Flour, plus 1 tsp Vital Wheat Gluten.
*** This recipe suggests using Jacques Torres bittersweet chocolate disks sold at Jacques Torres Chocolate or Valrhona feves sold at Whole Foods. I used Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and they tasted amazing. Also, I used 3 cups of chocolate chips instead of 3⅓ cups.
Pin for later!
Have you made The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies? Would you consider making these?