The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies have been on my list F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
I was debating whether or not I should make these outrageously decadent cookies, but then I told myself, it’s holiday season with plenty of people around, and this is the only time of year most people indulge, like really indulge.
These cookies were a huge hit amongst my family and friends, there wasn’t a single person who did not like them. Perfectly crinkled, buttery, sweet, crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside with a hint of sea salt that perfectly offsets some of the sweetness.
- Cake Flour – 2 cups minus 2 tbsp
- Bread Flour – 1⅔ cups
- Baking Soda – 1¼ tsp
- Baking Powder – 1½ tsp
- Salt – 1½ tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 2½ sticks (1¼ cups) - room temperature
- Light Brown Sugar – 1¼ cups
- Sugar – 1 cup plus 2 tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Dark Chocolate Chips – 3⅓ cups, at least 60% cacao content
- Sea Salt - for sprinkling over cookie dough
- Sift dry ingredients… cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter for a minute.
- Add the sugars and cream together for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, and eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, and mix on low speed until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- This is what you should have.
- Add the dark chocolate and incorporate them in without breaking them. You can also use a spatula here instead of the electric mixer and get a total arm workout.
- Here is your cookie dough.
- Press the plastic wrap against the cookie dough and refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours. I refrigerated my dough for 36 hours.
- I made 3 batches and baked them on 3 separate days.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking tray with unsalted butter.
- Grab a generous amount of cookie dough, the size of a golf ball or 3.5 ounce mound, and roll it into a rough ball. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. I baked 6 cookies at a time.
- Into the oven for 18-20 minutes. I baked mine exactly 18 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Perfect 5” cookies. Allow them to cool slightly before indulging. Definitely need to share these babies.
** Bread Flour substitute = 1 cup All Purpose Flour, plus 1 tsp Vital Wheat Gluten.
*** This recipe suggests using Jacques Torres bittersweet chocolate disks sold at Jacques Torres Chocolate or Valrhona feves sold at Whole Foods. I used Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and they tasted amazing. Also, I used 3 cups of chocolate chips instead of 3⅓ cups.
Pin for later!
Have you made The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies? Would you consider making these?