We get on great for 3 reasons…
we both have been through similar experiences
we both have similar personalities
we both share an undeniable passion for cooking
So when we do hangout, our conversations revolve around food, naturally, and discussing our latest and greatest recipe creations.
Our eyes light up at the mere mention of food. Boring for some, exciting for us.
But aside from cooking, Shanam is someone I consider a warm and genuine person. Our connection was instant. Her experiences have made her who she is today, a strong and wise person whom I continue to learn from.
As I go through life, I find that certain people come to you at a point when you need them most, and Shanam came into my life at the right time.
And now let’s talk about this dish. Not too long ago, Shanam made me Caprese Sunny Side Eggs, and I told her essentially what she made me was a basic form of Eggs in Purgatory.
I kicked up Shanam’s recipe up a notch and bring you my version of Eggs in Purgatory (aka Italian Shakshuka).
Steamed eggs in a sauté of cherry tomatoes and garlic combined with spicy pepper, sweet basil, and creamy Parmesan. Honestly, there is nothing “purgatory” about this dish, but rather, it is “heavenly.”
Enjoy this dish with toast to soak up all the juices, or skip the carbs altogether. Thanks Shanam, you were my inspiration.
Cherry Tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamins C and K. Additionally, they are a good source of Fiber, Folic Acid, Vitamins A, B6, and E. They are also a good source of Protein.
Eggs are a very good source of Vitamin B2, and are a good source Protein and Vitamin D, although the yolks do contain a lot of cholesterol, the yolk also contains tons of nutrients that are good for you.
Basil is an excellent source of Vitamin K and a very good source of Iron, Calcium, and Vitamin A.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 to 4 servings):
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Shallots – 2 (chopped)
- Cherry Tomatoes – 2.5 cups (sliced in half)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Crushed Red Pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Organic Eggs – 4
- Parmesan Cheese – 1/4 cup (optional, or use less, tastes amazing even without cheese)
- Basil – 1/2 cup (garnish)
1. Chop garlic and shallots. Set aside. Half the cherry tomatoes.
2. Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Once warmed through, add oil. Add the garlic and shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the shallots are very slightly golden.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes along with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir. Allow this to cook for 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes, the tomatoes should be a little softer, use a fork to mash the cherry tomatoes. Careful – it squirts.
6. Make wells in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into the well.
7. Do this 4 times.
8. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes – I don’t like my eggs runny, but if you prefer runny eggs, check after 3 minutes.
9. In the meantime, grate Parmesan cheese and julienne basil.
10. Check on the eggs.
11. Top with Parmesan cheese and cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes, again depends on how runny you like your eggs.
12. Once done. Turn off the stove. Top with basil. Serve immediately.
Question: Do you find that you meet certain people in your life when you need them most? Especially those who have been through similar experiences as yourself?