As you can infer based on my Instagram that it doesn’t take much for me to bake, I’m always in the mood, but getting down to blog about my baked goods is where I procrastinate.
Skip the pumpkin, caramels, pies, cheesecakes, make this!
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is an excellent source of Protein and Fiber.
Greek Yogurt is an excellent source of Protein and Calcium.
Bananas are a very good source of Vitamin B6. They are also a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber.
Walnuts are packed with heart-healthy Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Antioxidants, and are a good source of Protein.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SLICE w/GLAZE (12 slices):
- Calories: 240 cals
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbs: 32 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
for the Spiced Rum Banana Nut Bread:
- Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 1 2/3 cups
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Dark Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup (packed)
- Organic Eggs – 2
- Organic Ripe Bananas – 3 1/2 medium size (mashed)
- Fage 2% Greek Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Organic Canola Oil – 2 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum – 2 ounces
- Walnuts – 2/3 cup (chopped & toasted)
for the Coconut Rum Light Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Neufchatel Light Cream Cheese – 2 ounces
- Malibu Original Caribbean Rum w/ Coconut Flavor – 1 tsp
- Pure Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Confectioners’ Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Milk 2% Reduced Fat – 3 tbsp (less or more for desired consistency)
for the bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 10” x 5” loaf pan with butter. Line with parchment paper.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl… flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
4. Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl… brown sugar, eggs, Greek yogurt, Canola oil, and vanilla extract. Mix with an electric mixer until all the ingredients are combined.
5. Add the mashed bananas and spiced rum. Mix some more.
6. Chop and toast the walnuts on medium heat until you can smell the aroma.
7. Once cooled, add the walnuts and dry ingredients to the batter. Now FOLD, do not mix, FOLD the ingredients into the batter until combined.
8. Pour the bread batter into the loaf pan.
9. Into the oven for 45 minutes. Mine baked for exactly 45 minutes, you may need less or more time.
11. Using a toothpick, poke holes into the banana bread. This will allow the glaze to seep through. Let it cool for about 15-20 minutes.
for the glaze:
11. Add the light cream cheese, rum, vanilla, and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Whip until light and fluffy.
12. Add milk. Mix some more.
13. Glaze is ready.
14. Drizzle over slightly cooled bread. Slice and serve immediately. Tastes best warm.
OVERALL: 5 / 5
Flavor: Delicious, perfect sweetness.
Moistness: Just right. Tastes best warm. Microwave for 15 seconds if desired.
Texture: Bread-like, not dry or oily.
Glaze: Sweet Rum glaze. Complements the bread perfectly.
Very Highly Recommended.
Question: What are some of your favorite seasonal desserts this fall?