Luckily, on Epicurious I found a Low-Fat Banana Bread recipe that didn’t call for much fat at all.
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour adds Protein and Fiber to this Banana Bread recipe. Bananas are a very good source of Vitamin B6. They are also a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. Semisweet Chocolate Chips add some Antioxidants to this recipe. Buttermilk is an excellent source of Protein and Calcium without much added fat.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 12 slices):
- Calories: 212 cals
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbs: 40 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP BUTTERMILK BREAD (low fat)
(recipe modified & adapted from Epicurious)
~ yields 12 slices @ 325 degrees using a 8x4x2 inch loaf pan
- Organic Eggs – 2
- Turbinado Raw Cane Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Organic Bananas – 3 medium (1 1/4 cups mashed & ripe)
- Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
- Organic Canola Oil – 1 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 1 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Ghirardelli Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease a loaf pan with butter. Line with parchment paper so it is easy to pull the bread out.
3. Add eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
4. Here is the color you want… beige.
5. Mash the bananas.
6. Add the bananas, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla to the batter.
7. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
8. Add the dry ingredients… flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
9. Mix until everything is combined, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
10. Add the chocolate chips. Fold.
11. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
12. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, more or less if need be. Mine baked exactly for 1 hour.
13. Done! Enjoy with tea/coffee.
VERDICT: 4 / 5
I was really happy with the results of this bread… moist, spongy, and delicious. The key is to use “mini” chocolate chips so the chocolate flavor is subtle, that is unless you want a more bold flavor of chocolate. I increased the buttermilk amount which added a LOT of moisture and probably contributed to the spongy texture. So far I’ve spread peanut butter and pumpkin butter over my banana bread. Tastes best straight out of the oven, or microwave a slice for 10 seconds and enjoy.
TELL ME: Are you okay with making bread recipes with a lot of butter or oil? What’s your favorite Banana Bread recipe?