As I snuggle up on my couch with my soft comfy, I can’t deny the fact that I do enjoy this cool weather… the crisp air, the brisk winds, the fall leaves, the hot chocolate, the smell of burning pumpkin candle, and pumpkin spice – the epitome of fall.
NUTRITION: Pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A, Fiber, and Antioxidants. Eggs are a very good source of Vitamin B2, and are a good source Protein and Vitamin D, although the yolks do contain a lot of cholesterol, the yolk also contains tons of nutrients that are good for you. Milk is an excellent source of Protein and Calcium. Maple Syrup is a much healthier alternative to sugar since a little bit goes a long way. Pecans contain natural antioxidants and are heart-healthy nuts known to lower cholesterol.
note: for an even healthier French Toast, skip the challah bread and opt for 100% whole wheat bread or whole wheat challah (if you can find it).
note 2: if you are using whole wheat sliced bread, don’t drench the bread in the batter for too long else it will get soggy.
INGREDIENTS (makes 5 to 6 pieces of French Toast):
for the batter
- Organic Eggs – 2
- Organic Reduced-Fat 2% Milk – 3/4 cup
- Libby’s Pure Pumpkin – 1/4 cup
- Ground Cinnamon – 3/4 tsp
- Ginger – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Salt – just a pinch
- Challah Bread – cut into 1 inch slices (*Brioche works really well too)
- Unsalted Butter – just a teaspoon per slice of French Toast
for garnish (all optional):
- Pecans – just a couple (chopped)
- Powdered Sugar – just a sprinkle
- Pure Maple Syrup – just a drizzle
1. Here are all the main ingredients.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the batter in a mixing bowl, one where you can easily dip a piece of challah bread.
4. Slice the challah bread into 1 inch slices.
5. I used a teaspoon of butter to cook each slice of French Toast, a triangle.
6. Heat a cast-iron skillet on low-medium heat (dial #4). Add a little butter.
7. Dip the challah bread into the pumpkin batter for a few seconds on each side.
8. Place the bread onto the cast-iron skillet. Hear that sizzle? Cook for about 3 minutes.
9. Flip and should be golden brown. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
10. If desired top with chopped pecans, powdered sugar, and pure maple syrup. Serve immediately.
TELL ME: What’s your favorite kind of French Toast? Are you celebrating Halloween this year? If so, what are your plans?