Every single day I came home from work this past week, my husband was home before me catching up on old seasons of Entourage.
It’s like Sex and the City for men, only that the language is a LOT worse.
Every other word is…
… and so on!
But by the time Thursday rolled around, I couldn’t take it anymore, and after a couple episodes of Entourage, I asked him can I PLEASE just watch Ellen and Food Network for a little while and not have to listen to any more cussing.
By now you must be salivating, so let’s talk food. For a while now I’ve been dreaming of making a dessert-like blueberry sandwich with cream cheese for breakfast. I experimented with lime zest and coconut to further enhance the flavor of this scrumptious sandwich. This end result is so delectable, and filling which is a good thing. Just half a sandwich filled me up. And just fyi… I made it as healthy as I possibly could. Enjoy!
NUTRITION: Blueberries are a very good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. They are a good source of Vitamin E. In addition, blueberries are an ANTIOXIDANT POWERHOUSE. Coconut is low in cholesterol and sodium, and it is a good source of fiber. Cream cheese is a good source of Protein and Calcium, but should be eaten in moderation due to its fat content. Whole Wheat bread adds Protein and Fiber to this sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (cream cheese spread makes 2 sandwiches):
for the blueberry cream cheese spread:
- Neufchatel Cream Cheese – 2 ounces (or use 1/3 Reduced Fat Cream Cheese)
- Milk 2% Reduced Fat – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – less than 1/8 tsp
- Lime Zest – zest of 1/2 a lime
- White Sugar – 1 tsp
- Blueberries – 1/2 cup (chopped in half or roughly chopped)
for the sandwich:
- 100% Whole Grain Bread – 2 slices per sandwich
- Butter – just a glaze on the skillet
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Spread – 2 spoonfuls (1 spoonful on each side)
- Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut – 2 tsp (1 tsp on each side)
1. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, milk, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
2. Mash and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
3. Add lime zest. Mix.
4. Add sugar. Mix.
5. Add the chopped blueberries.
6. Mash the blueberries as you mix. Should be a purplish color.
7. Take 2 slices of bread. Spread the blueberry cream cheese spread on each side.
8. Heat a cast-iron skillet on low-medium heat, dial #4.
9. Place the 2 slices of bread on the skillet.
10. Top with unsweetened coconut on either side of the sandwich.
11. Place one slice of bread over the other.
12. Cook on each side, gently press.
13. Slice in half and serve immediately.
TELL ME: Do you prefer sweet or savory breakfasts? Would you make this sandwich, or is it too sweet for you?