For those of you who don’t know, quinoa is a gluten-free seed that originated from South America. In addition, it is a complete protein loaded with 9 essential amino acids and lots of fiber. Amongst the whole grain family, quinoa has the highest level of protein making it ideal for vegetarians. Lastly, quinoa helps maintain normal blood sugar levels and lowers cholesterol.
Since I'm a novice when it comes to quinoa, I looked up some interesting recipes online and instantly knew I wanted to make these quinoa patties by Bianca.
Quinoa on its own can be quite bland, hence it is important to flavor it correctly so you can enjoy the meal and reap the health benefits.
And now here to share with you are these Mini Quinoa Patties that I barely made any adjustments to, except for adding a little kick to them. Additionally, I made a quick yogurt sauce as an accompaniment flavored with salt, black pepper, garlic & onion powders.
An excellent meal for those of you trying to lose weight or maintain your weight - easy, fast, healthy and most importantly, delicious!
NUTRITION: Quinoa is an excellent source of Protein and Fiber, and a very good source of Iron, and Magnesium. Egg and Cheese are an excellent source of Protein.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 to 3 servings; mostly adapted from Confessions of a Chocoholic, originally from Heidi Swanson):
- Quinoa – 1 1/4 cups cooked (probably 1/2 cup uncooked)
- Eggs – 2
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Chives – 1/4 cup => 3 tbsp for the patties + 1 tbsp for garnish (finely chopped)
- Parmesan Cheese – 1/4 cup (grated)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Italian Bread Crumbs – 1/2 cup
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Yogurt – dollop
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce – a few dashes
- Fresh Chives – 1 tbsp reserved from above
1. Start by cooking the quinoa – instructions here. While the quinoa cooks, grate the parmesan cheese, and chop the chives and garlic. Set aside.
2. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Check on the quinoa once it is done. Fluff with a fork and allow it to cool down for 10 minutes.
4. Make sure the quinoa isn’t too hot when you add it to the eggs, else the eggs will start to cook themselves. Add the quinoa to the eggs. Stir immediately.
5. Add the chives, garlic, cheese, and salt. Stir.
6. Add the bread crumbs. Stir.
7. Add crushed pepper flakes – optional. Stir.
8. Form the patties in the palm of your hands.
9. This should yield 6 patties.
10. Heat a cast-iron skillet on low-medium heat, once hot, add a tablespoon of EVOO oil.
11. Place the patties on the skillet… you should hear a sizzle.
12. Flip once the side a few minutes… mine got a little burnt, however I didn’t mind at all.
13. Place the patties on a serving plate.
14. Top with yogurt sauce and finish it off with Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Sauce.
15. So healthy and delicious! Serve immediately!
TELL ME: What recipes have you tried with quinoa?