Now that the New Year is upon us, I’m going back to my healthy eating ways. Recently, my mom gave me a jar of organic quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) to try out, and I finally got around to it.
For those of you who don’t know, quinoa is a gluten-free seed that originated from South America. In addition, it is a complete protein loaded with 9 essential amino acids and lots of fiber. Amongst the whole grain family, quinoa has the highest level of protein making it ideal for vegetarians. Lastly, quinoa helps maintain normal blood sugar levels and lowers cholesterol. To learn more about quinoa, visit WellBeing-Secrets.
Since I’m a novice when it comes to quinoa, I looked up some interesting recipes online and instantly knew I wanted to make these quinoa patties by Bianca.
And now here to share with you are these Mini Quinoa Patties that I barely made any adjustments to, except for adding a little kick to them. Additionally, I made a quick yogurt sauce as an accompaniment flavored with salt, black pepper, garlic & onion powders.
NUTRITION: Quinoa is an excellent source of Protein and Fiber, and a very good source of Iron, and Magnesium. Egg and Cheese are an excellent source of Protein.
- Quinoa – 1 1/4 cups cooked (probably 1/2 cup uncooked)
- Eggs – 2
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Chives – 1/4 cup => 3 tbsp for the patties + 1 tbsp for garnish (finely chopped)
- Parmesan Cheese – 1/4 cup (grated)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Italian Bread Crumbs – 1/2 cup
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
for yogurt sauce…didn’t measure anything, just wing it:
- Yogurt – dollop
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce – a few dashes
- Fresh Chives – 1 tbsp reserved from above
1. Start by cooking the quinoa – instructions here. While the quinoa cooks, grate the parmesan cheese, and chop the chives and garlic. Set aside.
2. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Check on the quinoa once it is done. Fluff with a fork and allow it to cool down for 10 minutes.
4. Make sure the quinoa isn’t too hot when you add it to the eggs, else the eggs will start to cook themselves. Add the quinoa to the eggs. Stir immediately.
5. Add the chives, garlic, cheese, and salt. Stir.
6. Add the bread crumbs. Stir.
7. Add crushed pepper flakes – optional. Stir.
8. Form the patties in the palm of your hands.
9. This should yield 6 patties.
10. Heat a cast-iron skillet on low-medium heat, once hot, add a tablespoon of EVOO oil.
11. Place the patties on the skillet… you should hear a sizzle.
12. Flip once the side a few minutes… mine got a little burnt, however I didn’t mind at all.
13. Place the patties on a serving plate.
14. Top with yogurt sauce and finish it off with Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Sauce.
15. So healthy and delicious! Serve immediately!
TELL ME: What recipes have you tried with quinoa?