I loveeeeeeeeeeee avocados.
I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate avocado into my diet.
Not only are they rich and creamy, but they also lower bad cholesterol and are so good for your skin.
I recently stumbled upon this delectable recipe on a popular food blog – Two Peas & Their Pod. The recipe concept is brilliant since it’s a great way to use both chickpeas and avocado in a sandwich.
And since I make slight modifications to every recipe I adapt from, I substituted arugula for the spinach leaves and added 1/2 a jalapeno for an extra kick.
The end result was satisfying and delicious! Enjoy!
NUTRITION: Chickpeas are a great source of Protein, Fiber, Iron, and Folic Acid. Avocados are rich in Antioxidants and are a good source of Fiber, Folic Acid, and Vitamins B6, C, E and K. In addition, they help lower cholesterol and contain anti-cancerous properties. Arugula is an excellent source of Vitamins A, C, & K, Calcium, and Iron. Scallions are an excellent source of Vitamin K. Lemon is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Whole Wheat Bread is a good source of Protein and Fiber.
INGREDIENTS (makes 3 to 4 sandwiches):
(mostly adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod)
- Chickpeas – 1 (15 ounce) can of Chickpeas (washed, drained, & smashed)
- Avocado – 1 (mashed)
- Lemon – Juice of 1 (you can use lime as well)
- Scallions – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Arugula – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (depending on taste)
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Jalapeno – 1/2 a jalapeno (deseeded & finely chopped) optional: if you can handle spice
- Whole Grain Bread – 2 slices per sandwich (trim off the crust)
1. Start by slicing an avocado and removing the pit.
2. Smash the chickpeas.
3. Add the cubed/sliced avocado.
4. Squeeze the lemon. Mix all the ingredients together.
5. Add the scallions.
6. Add the arugula.
7. Add the salt and black pepper.
8. Deseed half a jalapeno and finely chop it. You can skip this since the arugula is already a bit spicy, but I like a little extra kick.
9. Add the chopped jalapeno.
10. Combine all the ingredients.
11. Take 2 slices of bread and trim off the crust.
12. Add the chickpea-avocado salad mixture to a slice of bread. Top with other slice of bread.
13. Slice in half.
14. Delicious, right?