Whenever my friend, Jhiane, comes over I try to think outside of the box because she is a tough cookie to please.
Ideally, I’d love to whip up a batch of freshly baked classic chocolate chip cookies for us to devour in minutes, or some Southern Red Velvet Cake with full blown Cream Cheese Frosting, but I can’t.
You see, I love my bff way too much, and myself, so instead I try to think of healthier ways to make some of her favorite classic recipes, healthier.
And then I wait for her reaction. Quite honestly, I’ve known Jhiane for so long now that I can tell purely based on her facial expression whether or not she likes my food. And even if she doesn’t like my food, she’ll still manage to politely say, “it’s okay, it’s not bad.” It’s not bad?!?!? And then I’ll yell, Jhiane JUST TELL ME THE TRUTH, I CAN HANDLE IT! WHAT WENT WRONG?
This time was different though. She actually liked my Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding and said, “this tastes really good, I didn’t think it would taste this good with only 1 tablespoon of butter.” Hearing that was music to my ears.
Re-creating a classic and making it healthier sometimes does mean sacrificing a little bit of taste, but that’s okay if the end result still tastes good. Don’t you think? And if I can get Jhiane to like any recipe of mine, my mission is accomplished.
Enjoy this Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding made with 100% whole wheat bread, an egg, and 1 tablespoon of butter. Not fat-free, but a slightly healthier treat.
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Bread is a great source of Fiber and Protein. Milk is an excellent source of Protein and Calcium. Pecans contain natural antioxidants and are heart-healthy nuts known to lower cholesterol.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 to 3 servings):
- Egg – 1
- Reduced Fat 2% Milk – 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread – 2 slices (cubed)
- Unsalted Butter – 1 tbsp (room temperature)
- Brown Sugar – 3 tbsp (use 4 tbsp for extra sweetness)
- Pecans – 2 tbsp (chopped)
1. Start by combining the wet ingredients… egg, milk, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix well.
2. Add cinnamon and raisins. Mix.
3. Cube 2 slices of whole wheat bread.
4. Add them to the wet mixture making sure the bread is well coated.
5. Set aside for 1/2 hour.
6. In the meantime, make the streusel. Start with butter and brown sugar in a bowl.
7. Add pecans. Mix until well combined – use 2 forks or your fingers to combine.
8. Top the bread pudding with streusel.
9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
10. Into the oven for 45 minutes. Check at about 35 minutes.
11. This is what you should have. This will deflate.
12. And you’ll have this.
13. You can top with a touch of milk for added creaminess.