My inspiration for this sandwich is none other than Alice’s Tea Cup, an adorable bakery in Manhattan’s Upper West Side district.
Recently at Alice’s Tea Cup, I ordered the Chopped Tea-Egg Salad Sandwich which comprised of egg, watercress, mayonnaise on 7-grain bread. It was so mouthwatering that I wanted to recreate a similar sandwich at home, but without the unhealthy mayonnaise.
I even added a secret ingredient – Herbal Dijon Mustard – and it took this outrageously delicious sandwich to a whole new level. You must use this particular Dijon Mustard since it consists of 4 types of herbs – thyme, rosemary, basil, and marjoram – which add depths of flavor. Whole Foods is the place my friends!
- Eggs – 2 (boiled)
- Egg White – 1 (boiled)
- Avocado – 1
- Lemon – Juice of ¼ of a lemon
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Scallions – ½ cup (chopped)
- Watercress – ½ cup (chopped)
- Domaine des Vignes’ Herbal Dijon Mustard – just a glaze on each slice of bread (or use any Dijon Mustard)
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread - 6 slices (makes 3 sandwiches)
- Start by boiling 3 eggs. cafecito 043
- Peel the eggs and place them in a large bowl. I removed the yolk of one egg for health reasons.cafecito 047cafecito 048
- Add the avocado.
- cafecito 050cafecito 052
- Add the juice of ¼ of a lemon, this will prevent the avocado from browning.cafecito 053
- Season with salt and black pepper.cafecito 055
- Chop the scallions and add them to the large bowl - you only need ½ cup.
- cafecito 044cafecito 059
- Chop the watercress and add them to the large bowl as well - you only need ½ cup.cafecito 060cafecito 064
- Run a knife through the eggs and avocado – this will help them remain chunky. cafecito 066
- This is what you should have, notice it is chunky, not pureed.cafecito 067
- Take 2 slices of bread and trim off the edges.cafecito 070
- Take a small amount of Dijon Mustard ( I urge you to pick up the brand I purchased from Whole Foods ) and just glaze it on each slice of bread.cafecito 074
- This is what you should have.cafecito 077
- Top with 2 to 3 spoonful's of the avocado-egg mixture. cafecito 080
- Top with the other slice of bread and slice in half. cafecito 082
- Healthy food never tasted so good. Refreshing, light, and oh so delicious!
STEP BY STEP:
1. Start by boiling 3 eggs.
2. Peel the eggs and place them in a large bowl. I removed the yolk of one egg for health reasons.
3. Add the avocado.
4. Add the juice of 1/4 of a lemon, this will prevent the avocado from browning.
6. Chop the scallions and add them to the large bowl – you only need 1/2 cup.
7. Chop the watercress and add them to the large bowl as well – you only need 1/2 cup.
8. Run a knife through the eggs and avocado – this will help them remain chunky.
Pin Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
TELL ME: Do you enjoy Afternoon Tea? If so, what’s your favorite Afternoon Tea sandwich?