A few friends came over to watch the Super Bowl with my husband and I. My friend, Jhiane, made Honey Barbecue Chicken Wings which turned out good. I made Spinach Dip w/veggies and Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Chocolate Truffles which were AMAZING!
I also served Chips & Guacamole, Grilled Cheese Guacamole Sliders, and Banana Bread Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze (healthy). And of course, what’s a party without Martinis!
I cooked from 11 am to 5 pm, so by the time 5 pm rolled around, I passed out on the couch until my guests arrived. I’ll be sharing all my recipes with you in the coming weeks, but for now, let’s talk about them Grilled Cheese Guacamole Sliders, shall we?
I found the original recipe on Kevin’s site – Closet Cooking. I find Kevin’s recipes to be simple and innovative. Check out his site.
Here are some swaps I made based on the original recipe:
– I skipped the bacon (I don’t eat red meat)
– I skipped the tortilla chips, although this is a really good idea.
– Instead of butter, I used Olive Oil. I find avocado to be rich enough, so why add butter?
– I added a touch of Crushed Red Pepper because I love everything in life hot & spicy. 😉
– I used a softer French Bread to achieve the slider look for Super Bowl Weekend, but on a normal day I would much rather prefer to use 100% Whole Wheat Bread.
NUTRITION: Avocados are a good source of Vitamin K, Fiber, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C. They are also an excellent source of Antioxidants and great for your skin. Tomatoes are a good source of Vitamins A and C. Lime is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Although high in fat, Cheese is an excellent source Protein and Calcium.
INGREDIENTS (enough to make 10 sliders):
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp (enough to make 2 to 3 sliders at a time)
- French Bread (softer, or use Italian bread) – sliced (for a healthier option, go for 100% Whole Wheat)
- Monterey Pepper Jack Cheese – small handfuls on each side
- Guacamole (use my amazing guac recipe) – 1 spoonful
- Crushed Red Pepper – sprinkle to taste
1. Start by making my awesome guacamole, or your favorite guacamole recipe. I doubled my recipe since I made enough guacamole for chips as well.
2. Then slice up a “softer” French bread.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium heat – I urge you to use a cast-iron skillet for a smoky flavor. Once heated, add a teaspoon of Olive Oil and place the bread on the skillet.
4. Once slightly golden, flip the bread. Add a “good amount” of cheese on each side – this is really the most unhealthy part of the sandwich, and it is grilled cheese, so load it up.
5. Once it melts, add a spoonful of guacamole on 1 side.
6. Sprinkle a bit of crushed red pepper.
7. Cover the sandwich with the other half. Gently press down.
8. Grill to perfection. I love burnt cheese. 🙂
9. Enjoy! Creamy and gooey with a subtle kick of spice. Tell me what you think.
TELL ME: How did you celebrate Super Bowl Sunday? What did you make? Which team were you rooting for?