HAPPY ANNIVERSARY M & A!
Today marks my brother-in-law and sister’s 12 year anniversary. Here is a little story on my first encounter with my future brother-in-law. It was about 14 years ago when we first met and I was still a teenager.
I was home from college and in the kitchen having my breakfast at 1 PM in the afternoon. I had my glasses on, my sweats on, and my hair was disheveled sitting up high in a messy bun, in short, I looked like C-R-A-P! Naturally, I wasn’t expecting company.
In walks this guy and said, “Good Morning, you must be on California time?” I, who is normally grumpy in the morning, smiled, imagine that? I smiled to sarcasm in the morning!
The sarcasm in his humor reminded me of myself, and naturally you tend to be drawn to those who have similar characteristics as yourself, right? It’s interesting that 14 years later I can still recall his exact words. I have a point, I promise. You see, my sister is one of those with a compassionate, pure soul, and someone who needed a person in her life with a more sarcastic sense of humor. And thus, at that very first encounter with my brother-in-law, I realized that if he could make a grumpy teenager smile, he surely could make my good-hearted sister smile for years and years to come. And that’s how I knew in that very first meeting that he was the right guy for my sister.
With that story, I wish you both, M & A, a very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY with many many more blissful years of
torture marriage to come… remember, I’m sarcastic! To celebrate with you here on the east coast, I baked Chocolate Truffle Cakes.
Look how gooey inside… enjoy!
NUTRITION: The only good thing about this recipe is the small amounts of carbohydrates in each truffle. If you are hoping for a healthier treat, I strongly recommend using bittersweet chocolate chips which provide antioxidant benefits. In any case, semisweet chocolate chips provide some antioxidant benefits.
MODIFICATIONS I MADE:
- This recipe originally calls for 5 tbsp of butter, however I used only 2 tbsp. You could add another 1 tbsp for a slightly richer truffle cake
- Instead of using 10 ounces of chocolate, I went for 8 ounces. For a slightly healthier truffle, opt for bittersweet chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 15 mini muffins)
- Calories: 105 cals
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbs: 13 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Fiber: 0 g
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CAKES (REDUCED FAT) (mostly adapted by Paris Pastry)
~ yields 15 mini muffins @ 375 degrees
~ fat reduced by 33%; saturated fat reduced by 36%; calories reduced by 27%
- Unsalted Butter – 2 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 tbsp
- Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Chips – 1 cup (8 ounces)
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Eggs – 2
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add chocolate, butter, and 1 tbsp of sugar in a a bowl over simmering water.
3. Allow the chocolate to slowly melt. Once smooth, remove from the heat and allow the chocolate to cool.
4. In the meantime, in a mxiing bowl, combine the eggs and remianing 1 tbsp of sugar.
5. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes until frothy.
6. Add flour and salt. Mix on high speed until frothy and bubbles form.
7. Now add the chocolate, a 1/4 cup at a time. Make sure the chocolate is not hot, else the eggs will curdle.
8. Blend on high until well combined.
9. Keep incorporating more and more chocolate until all the chocolate is combined.
10. End result… dark and smooth. YUM!
11. Line a mini muffin tray.
12. Add the batter to the muffin liners.
13. Into the oven for 18 minutes, however check after 15 minutes.
14. This is what you should have.
OVERALL RATING: 4.5 / 5
For a reduced fat version, this recipe was quite amazing. It was super easy to make and had that gooey chocolate feel that I love. These Chocolate Truffle Cakes would easily be a 5 / 5 had I used 5 tablespoons of butter. Definitely a keeper!
TELL ME: How do you celebrate an anniversary with a significant other?