Blueberries + chocolate? Really?
Here is a combination that is about to blow your mind.
I’m going to “prove” to you this dessert is not only delicious, but good for you too. You know, just like a proof you would solve in Math class.
The best part of this decadent dessert is the entire batch of brownies consists of 4 tbsp of butter in combination with 2 tbsp of Canola Oil. The oil replaces some of the fat without adding additional saturated fat. Hey, it’s something since most brownies contain at least 1 stick (or 8 tbsp) of butter.
In addition, these indulgent Double Chocolate Blueberry Brownies are made with Whole Wheat Flour which contain protein and fiber.
They also contain Unsweeteend Cocoa and Bittersweet Chocolate Chips which are an excellent source of Fiber and Antioxidants, and that’s where I came up with “double chocolate.”
I hear there is also some Ground Flaxseed which are an excellent source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
And let’s not forget… BLUEBERRIES… which are an excellent source of antioxidants. Hello, GREAT SKIN!
Shall we proceed with the proof that Blueberry Brownies are delicious and healthy?
Whole Wheat Flour + Unsweetened Cocoa + Bittersweet Chocolate Chips + Ground Flaxseed + BLUEBERRIES + A little Love, ahem, fat & sugar = DELICIOUSNESS
Protein + Fiber + Antioxidants + Antioxidants + Omega 3 Fatty Acids + more Antioxidants + a little Love = HEALTHY
DELICIOUSNESS + HEALTHY = Double Chocolate Fudgy Blueberry Brownies
Where each serving of…
Blueberry Brownie = 156 calories + 2.3g protein + 1.6g fiber (that’s fewer calories than 2 tbsp of peanut butter)
Therefore we can conclude…
Blueberry Brownies are delicious and healthy! Fact!
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Flour is a great source of Protein and Fiber. Cocoa Powder is an excellent source of antioxidants. Bittersweet Chocolate also contain a good amount of fat, however they contain antioxidants. Flaxseeds are a high source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Blueberries are a very good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. They are a good source of Vitamin E. In addition, blueberries are an ANTIOXIDANT POWERHOUSE.
MODIFICATIONS I MADE:
- This is my own creation, however most brownie recipes consist of at least 1 stick of butter (or 8 tbsp), this recipe consists of 4 tbsp. That is 50% less saturated fat.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 16 squares)
- Calories: 156 cals
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbs: 21 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGY BLUEBERRY BROWNIES (REDUCED FAT)
~ yields x @ 350 degrees using a 8″ x 8″ baking tray
- Unsalted Butter – 4 tbsp (melted)
- Canola Oil – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Ground Flaxseed – 1 tbsp
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
- Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 1/2 cup
- Fresh Blueberries – 1 cup
- Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup (tip: if you prefer sweeter desserts, go for Semisweet Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a baking dish.
3. In a medium sized pot melt the butter on low-heat.
4. Once melted, remove the pot from the stove. Add a cup of sugar.
5. Blend on high speed for about 3 minutes until the butter and sugar are light and fluffy.
6. Add Canola Oil. Blend again for a couple minutes.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time. Blend for about 1 minute in between each addition.
8. Add the vanilla extract. Blend.
9. Add the ground flaxseed, whole wheat flour, and cocoa powder.
10. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
11. Add the blueberries.
12. Add the chocolate chips. Again, if you want the brownies on the sweeter side, I suggest using Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips.
13. Mix for about 30 seconds until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
14. Pour the batter into your baking dish.
15. Into the oven for 30 minutes, however I would check after 25 minutes to see how they are.
16. Straight out of the oven. Wait about 15 minutes before you cut them into squares.
17. Enjoy with a cuppa! Seriously, they taste absolutely decadent!
OVERALL RATING: 5 / 5
Not to toot my own horn, but DAMN these were good! Go me! My husband loved these brownies so much so he offered to do a little more around the house – really?!?!? Perhaps I should name these – Get.Him.To.Do.More.Work.Brownies!
To be honest, the average person may feel these brownies could be a tad bit sweeter, however keep in mind that blueberries are a natural sweetener and so you don’t really need additional sugar. Having said that, I can see how the average person may prefer a slightly sweeter treat, and thus I suggest if you have a strong sweet tooth, add the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or the Milk Chocolate Chips (this may be too sweet though) instead of Bittersweet Chocolate Chips.
The brownies were very fudgy and decadent, I wouldn’t know any better they were made with Whole Wheat Flour and less butter. In addition, the brownies were very moist the next day too. I did microwave them for about 15 seconds simply because I love fudge oozing out of my brownie. This baby is a keeper! I would so appreciate some feedback if you make these.
TELL ME: Have you ever made Blueberry Brownies? If so, how do these compare? Enlighten me!