Hope you all had a great weekend? This past Sunday I headed over to my Aunt Bimi’s house up in North Jersey to attend her famous religious event. This religious family event takes place once a
year, every April, and it is a good way to meet up with the entire gang.
Although I am not religious, my real incentive to attend this event was to see my cousin’s 1 year old daughter, Naia. She continues to be the highlight of our family gatherings regaling us all with her sweet and charming personality.
For this family event I decided to make a Low Fat version of my Eggless Cake with Condensed Milk. If you want to be daring, you can make the Full-Fat version which can be found here.
Everyone seemed to enjoy this cake which goes so well with a cup of afternoon tea. The Low Fat version wasn’t as moist as the original, but it was still really good. Quite frankly, no one was able to tell it was low fat until I mentioned it.
NUTRITION: Considering this cake has a good amount of butter, it doesn’t have a too much fat per serving.
MODIFICATIONS I MADE based on the original recipe used:
- I lowered the butter by 2 tbsp which saved about 22 grams of fat and 14 grams of saturated fat.
- Instead of using Regular Sweetened Condensed Milk, I used Low Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk.
- Since Condensed Milk is already sweetened, I only used 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Instead of using cold water, I used Low Fat Milk which added more creaminess.
- Lastly, I added 1 tsp of vinegar to prevent the cake from sinking.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 24 squares)
- Calories: 115 cals
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbs: 19 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
EGGLESS CONDENSED MILK VANILLA CAKE (LOW FAT)
~ yields 24 squares @ 350 degrees using a 9″ x 13″ baking tray
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
- All Purpose White Flour – 1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch – 2 tbsp
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 6 tbsp (room temperature)
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Eagle Brand Low Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1 can (14 ounces)
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Milk 1% Low Fat – 3/4 cup
1.Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. Grease a baking tray with butter.
3. In a small bowl, sift the dry ingredients… wheat flour, white flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar on high speed for a few minutes.
5. Add condensed milk.
6. Add vanilla extract and vinegar.
7. Combine for a few minutes until everything is well incorporated.
8. Should look as follows.
9. Now alternate between the dry mixture and milk in 3 parts, starting and ending with the dry. Combine, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
10. This is what you should have.
11. Pour the batter into the baking tray.
12. Into the oven for 30 minutes.
13. Should be golden-brown and perfectly raised. I seriously need to buy some toothpicks.
14. Serve with a cuppa… it’s so good! 🙂
OVERALL RATING: 4.5 / 5
TELL ME: In a year, how often do you see your entire family?