When it comes to coffee, my brother is a huge advocate of using the French Press. I honestly didn't think there was a difference until I decided to do this taste test and really see for myself which method scored better. Keep in mind using a French Press is more of an European thing, whereas using a Coffee Maker is more preferred by Americans. Which approach results in a better cup of coffee? Find out!
Here are the categories I performed the taste test on:
1. Is the coffee "hot" or "warm"?
2. How is the "body" of the coffee? Is it thick or diluted?
3. Is there a strong "flavor/taste" of the coffee?
Got that? So we are testing on hotness, body, and flavor?
Here is the coffee flavor I used because I absolutely love Blueberry Coffee after having tried it at Ocean Breeze Cafe in Newport, RI. It is one of the best breakfast places I've been to... just FYI! :-) So I decided to use New England's Blueberry Cobbler. It smells divine!
I started off adding 2 tbsp of coffee to the Cuisinart Coffee Maker.
And 2 tbsp of coffee to the French Press.
I also set aside 2 mugs, each mug consisted of 1 tbsp of Half & Half Creamer and 2 tsp of sugar.
In addition, I used 1 cup or 8 ounces of water for each coffee.
Cuisinart 4 Cup Coffee Maker
French Press Hotel Black Label Collection
Note, both appliances are stainless steel to ensure "hot" coffee is delivered every time, but does it really work? Let's find out. Let the coffee do its thing.
On the left we have the French Press coffee and on the right we have the Coffee Maker coffee. Observe the difference in color. Notice the coffee on the left (French Press) appears to be darker than the coffee on the right (Coffee Maker).
Based on the result I can conclude the following:
1. Based on how "hot" the coffee was, the French Press coffee was easily hotter than the Coffee Maker coffee, reason being the water used in the French Press coffee was initially boiled.
2. Based on the "body" of the coffee, I believe the French Press coffee is definitely more bodied than the Coffee Maker coffee. Can you see the difference?
French Press on the left; Coffee Maker on the right
3. Based on the "flavor", I conclude the French Press coffee was much more flavorful, there was a strong flavor of blueberry and it was definitely a bit stronger than the Coffee Maker coffee. The Coffee Maker coffee almost tasted diluted to me and lacked a good amount of flavor the French Press was able to capture. This could be due to the paper filter used by the Coffee Maker which I'm sure absorbs some of the coffee flavor.
And lastly, I totally recommend purchasing New England's Blueberry Cobbler, it is aromatic, blueberryish, yummy, and so delicious. Complete your breakfast with a delicious slice of my Blueberry Lemon Crumb Cake.
Tell Me: Do you use a Coffee Maker or French Press to make your coffee? How many tablespoons of coffee do you use when making your coffee? Which one do you prefer? Share your thoughts! :-)