Did you guys watch the Super Bowl? I have to admit, I wasn’t really rooting for either team, but I sure enjoyed the company and the food. Okay, so I do have to talk about Christina Aguilera messing up our National Anthem. The media ripped her apart and I felt so bad for her. Don’t get me wrong, it does suck she messed up, but she is human and the experience itself must have been so nerve-wrecking. In my opinion, she does undoubtedly have one of the most amazing voices so I defend Christina! What else? The Black Eyed Peas were amazing! I loved every single song. Usher was a huge surprise. Slash and the Guns n Roses song (Sweet Child O’ Mine) was an even bigger surprise. GnR were my favorite rock band growing up, my mom was so worried for me as a child. Whatever man, I turned out just fine! 🙂
For Super Bowl Sunday, my friend, Marian, came over to hang out with my husband and I. She was so sweet and brought me her US Weekly magazines – I love reading celebrity gossip, although I am not obsessed. For food, I just served drinks and appetizers… totally my kind of party where you can really enjoy the food without stuffing your face.
We kicked off the night with Martinis. In the mix was some Vodka, Pineapple Juice, and Fruit Punch. These babies were smooth and delicious. One drink is all it took for me to get buzzed, yup, I’d make a cheap date. 🙂
Of course, no appetizer party is complete without my most favorite fried food in the whole world… Jalapeno Poppers. I had both the Cheddar Cheese and Cream Cheese versions at home – don’t ask! It worked out great since Marian ate the Cheddar Cheese poppers, while my hubby and I enjoyed the Cream Cheese ones. I LOVE LoVe love the Cream Cheese version.
Here is my first serving.
We missed our friend, Jhiane, who was working all night saving lives at the hospital. 🙂
So anyway, for my Buffalo Veggie Nachos I came up with this recipe by combining my Buffalo Veggie Lovers Pizza and all my favorite veggies when making nachos. I used Baked Tortilla Chips rather than fried which saved me a ton of fat and calories. The secret ingredient in these delectable nachos is Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce. Of course, you can use the “mild” version, too. To complete this dish you will need a LIGHT Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, but sadly I didn’t have either on hand. DAMN! Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to make these delicious nachos, again.
NUTRITION: Bell Peppers are a great source of Vitamins A, B6, and C. Tomatoes are a good source of Vitamins A and C. Olives are a good source of Iron, Vitamin E, and Fiber. Avocados are a good source of Vitamin K, Fiber, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C. They are also an excellent source of Antioxidants. Cheese is a good source of Calcium and Protein.
INGREDIENTS (although this has many ingredients, this is a very quick appetizer to put together):
- Scallions – 1 bunch (chopped)
- Plum Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- Jalapeno – 1/2 a jalapeno (finely chopped)
- Green Pepper – 1 (chopped)
- Black Olives – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Taco Seasoning – 2.5 to 3 tbsp (use Ortega or Old El Paso)
- Avocado – 1 (chopped)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp (more or less)… add to Avocado
- Black Pepper – 1/8 tsp (more or less)… add to Avocado
- Lime – juice of 1/2 a lime
- Fresh Cilantro – handful (chopped)… use some for Avocado and the rest for Nachos
- UTZ Baked Tortilla Chips – enough to fill a plate
- Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce (hot/mild) – to taste
- LIGHT Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing – to taste
- Mexican Cheese Blend (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso, Asadero) – handful
1. Here is what you will initially need to chop.
MAKE THE VEGGIE MIXTURE
2. Chop scallions and add to a large mixing bowl.
3. Chop tomatoes and add to the mix.
4. Chop jalapeno and add to the mix.
5. Chop green pepper and add to the mix.
6. Chop black olives and add to the mix.
7. Add taco seasoning to the mix.
8. Combine. Set aside the veggie mixture.
MAKE THE AVOCADO DIP
9. Cut the avocado in half and dice. Add to a smaller bowl.
10. Add salt, black pepper, and lime juice.
11. Top with some cilantro. Combine and set aside.
TIP: Someone once mentioned leaving the avocado seed in the avocado dip retains the freshness and prevents the avocado from turning black. Not sure if this is true. Of course, lime helps as well.
12. Place the baked chips in a plate.
13. Add the veggie mixture on top.
14. Add cheese.
15. Top with Frank’s Hot Sauce to taste.
16. This was actually a bit spicy since I used HOT Wing Sauce. 🙂
17. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
18. Melted Cheese = Deliciousness!
19. Top with avocado.
20. Top with fresh cilantro.
21. If I had LIGHT Ranch/Blue Cheese Dressing, I would have added it here. Next time.
22. Uhmmm… Is it okay to say that I love my cooking? 🙂 I said that a couple times tonite while buzzing.