This post is a dedication to my hubby on his new job offer and today was his first day at work. It certainly wasn’t an easy task finding a job during these economic times, so this made his moment extra special and I’m so proud of him.
Today I rushed home and surprised him with a gift from his favorite store, other little items, and a Cinnabon for myself him to celebrate his accomplishments. Haha! Of course, when I made a big deal about his new job, he was being rather modest about it and felt there was no need to celebrate. My thing is no matter how big or small a moment is, it should be celebrated with the ones you love, at the very least your spouse/significant other. What better way to celebrate than this beautiful Cinnabon we both devoured and a coffee mug with priceless words of wisdom?
I took the celebration one step further and made him some Indian food because nothing makes him happier than a home cooked Indian dish made by yours truly. Yes, I believe he has gotten used to my cooking and loves the way my food tastes. Today I made Aloo Shimla Mirch which is essentially potatoes cooked with red and green bell peppers. Traditionally, every ingredient in this dish is cubed, I just sliced everything up due to lack of time. Aloo Shimla Mirch goes really well with Roti/Naan and some yogurt to lessen the spice effect.
OMG, he’s gonna get so mad at me when he sees this post… please don’t be mad. 🙂
Tell Me: How do you surprise your hubby?
NUTRITION: Potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. Bell Peppers are a great source of Vitamins A, B6, and C.
- Olive Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Onion – 1 big (sliced)
- Red Pepper – 1 big (sliced)
- Green Pepper – 1 big (sliced)
- Potatoes – 2 medium (sliced)
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 (use less here if you can’t handle heat)
- Salt to taste
1. Slice the onion.
2. Heat a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add oil. Wait a minute and add cumin seeds. Saute for 15 seconds or so, once they sizzle…
3. Add turmeric powder. Saute about 5-10 seconds.
4. Add sliced onions and salt. Combine. Saute for 5 minutes or slightly golden.
5. In the meantime, slice the red and green bell pepper.
6. This is how the onions should look after 5 minutes.
7. Add the bell peppers and salt. Combine. Lower heat to dial #3 (low heat). Cook for 5 minutes.
8. In the meantime, peel 2 potatoes.
9. Slice, this should almost look like a French fry.
10. Once done, check on the bell peppers, this is what you should have after 5 minutes.
11. Add potatoes, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Combine.
12. Cook for 5 minutes without a lid. MISSED TAKING A PICTURE!
13. Cover with a lid and cook on dial #3 (low heat) for 25 minutes. Keep checking in between to avoid burning.
14. After 25 minutes this is what you should have. Check to make sure the potato is soft and edible. Now adjust salt and add garam masala. Turn off the stove. Combine.