It happened again! Yes, it did! I came home yesterday to a wonderful surprise of aromatic Indian spices in the air. My husband cooked, he actually cooked, again! What the h*ll is goin’ on? A week ago he made his famous Toor Dal Tadka and yesterday he made his famous Egg Curry. I couldn’t believe that he had dinner (including rice) ready by 6:45 PM. Unbelievable! I was so so happy! I had such a long day at work and it was nice to come home to a hot meal cooked with love, it was nice to be taken care of, and it was nice to not eat my own food for a change… as much as I love my cooking. 🙂
Today I came home on time and whipped up a quick side dish for my hubby and I. Since he needs to add more iron to his diet I made him a quick Spinach Saute. I promise you this took no more than 15 minutes to put together, it is that easy and so nutritional. A side of brown rice would be really good with this dish, or even a piece of salmon, but we just ate the spinach by itself. It was delish! We also enjoyed my hubby’s leftover Egg Curry and Rice from the day before. It was a light and perfect meal after a hard day at work.
NUTRITION: Spinach is loaded with tons of nutrients. It is rich in Vitamins A, C, and K, and is an excellent source of Iron and Folic Acid. Spinach is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Spinach – 10 oz. bag (rinsed)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
1. You’ll need spinach. Rinse and set aside.
2. Chop the garlic… I just used my Magic Bullet.
3. Heat a wok on medium heat, once hot add Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add the crushed red pepper.
4. Once the red pepper sizzles, add the fresh garlic. Stir for about 15 seconds.
5. Add the fresh spinach.
6. Add salt and black pepper. Stir. The spinach should start to wilt instantly.
7. Allow this to cook for about 10 minutes… the spinach will release liquid.
8. This is what you should have after 10 minutes. Don’t cook the spinach past 10 minutes else it will lose its nutrition. I loved the liquid the spinach releases.