The other day I made Aloo Gobi for dinner and used my mum-in-law's delicious recipe. The idea here is to blend the cilantro, green chilies, ginger, and garlic into a paste and then cook the paste along with the other veggies. This dish is amazingly delicious and is easily a step up from your traditional Aloo Gobi. Enjoy!
NUTRITION: Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Fiber. It is a very good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Folic Acid.
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Green Chilies - 2
- Fresh Cilantro - handful
- Water - 2 tbsp (just to get the grinder/blender going)
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Onion - 1 big (sliced)
- Plum Tomatoes - 2
- Cauliflower - 1 (cut into florets)
- Potato - 1 big (bite size cubes)
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Begin by slicing the onion.
2. Heat a wok/pan on medium heat, add oil, add cumin seeds. Wait for them to sizzle.
3. Once they sizzle, add the turmeric powder. Saute for about 5-8 seconds.
4. Add the sliced onions. Season with salt. Combine. Saute until caramelized... about 5-7 minutes.
5. Now make the cilantro paste with the following ingredients.
6. Blend all the ingredients from step #5 in a Magic Bullet / Blender.
7. Once the onions are done, this is what you should have.
8. Add the cilantro paste. Season with a little salt. Combine.
9. Now chop the tomatoes.
10. Add the tomatoes to the onion-cilantro mixture. Combine and cook for 10 additional minutes.
11. Get your cauliflower and cut into florets.
12. Peel your potato and cut into bite size cubes.
13. Check on your onion-cilantro mixture... this is what you should have. Notice how the water evaporated and the color is not as bright green.
14. Add the cauliflower and potatoes to the onion-cilantro mixture.
15. Season with red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt.
16. Combine. Cook for 5 minutes - uncovered.
17. After 5 minutes, stir and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to dial #3.
Cook the Aloo Gobi for 40 minutes or until the cauliflower and potatoes are soft and edible. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning.
18. This is what you should have.
19. Turn off the stove and add garam masala. Adjust salt.
20. Serve with rice/roti/naan... it is delicious!