A classic Punjabi Dish… Aloo Matar is potatoes and green peas cooked in a tomato gravy.
Anyone else into The Bachelorette as much as I am? Tonight I watched the 20/20 Special on Inside the Bachelor on my DVR. I personally think a lot of this drama is real, and I love it! I can’t wait to see who Ali chooses on Monday. Rumor has it that she picks no one. OMG, I would be so annoyed because both guys are great in my opinion, especially Rrrrrrrrrrrrrroberto (rolling the r)… LOL!
Moving along, for dinner I made a classic Punjabi dish called Aloo Matar, which is essentially potatoes and green peas sauteed with Indian spices in a tomato gravy. There are so many variations of Aloo Matar, however I wanted to create a version that didn’t have too much gravy and I wanted to achieve a yellowish-green color for my dish. How did I do it? I added more turmeric powder, used only one tomato, and topped the dish off with fresh cilantro leaves. This dish goes really well with Roti/Naan. Hope you love it!
- Olive Oil - 1½ tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) - just a pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Plum Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Red Chili Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Potatoes - 2 medium (bite size cubes)
- Frozen Green Peas - 1 cup
- Water - 1.5 to 2 cups (depends on how much gravy you want)
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp
- Fresh Cilantro - 1 bunch (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Start by chopping the garlic, ginger, and onions.
- Heat a pot on medium heat, once hot, add Olive Oil, add the cumin seeds.
- Once they start sizzling, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder. Cook for about 5 seconds.
- Now add the ginger and garlic. Saute for 15 seconds or so.
- Add the onions and salt. Saute for about 8-10 minutes. Keep checking to make sure the onions don't burn.
- In the meantime, chop the tomato.
- After 8-10 minutes, this is how the onions should look.
- Add the tomato, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Combine.
- Lower the heat to dial #3, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and cube the potatoes.
- After 10 minutes, this is how the onion and tomato should look, should form a paste-like consistency.
- Add the potatoes and salt. Combine.
- Add 1 cup of frozen green peas. Combine.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Stir. Cover with a lid and allow this to simmer for 25 minutes on dial #3. Keep checking in between.
- In the meantime, chop the cilantro.
- This is what you should have after 25 minutes. Check the potato and make sure it is soft and edible. Add garam masala and turn off the stove. Adjust salt.
- Add cilantro.
- Combine. And there is that yellowish-green color I wanted. Wait at least 15 minutes before serving, this will allow all the flavors to combine.
Pin Aloo Matar