- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Nigella (kalonji) Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies – 2 (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Red Onions – 2 medium (sliced)
- Plum Tomatoes – 3 (sliced)
- Okra – 6 handfuls (wash, dry, trim ends, slice)
- salt to taste
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Mango (Amchoor) Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp (optional… I skipped this, didn’t really need it)
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves – 1/2 handful (chopped)
1. Here is the amount of okra I used… 6 handfuls (I have small hands).
2. Wash and let it dry.
3. Here is what you need.
4. Chop/Mince the green chilies, garlic, and ginger. I just used my Magic Bullet… it’s a great gadget in the kitchen!
5. Slice the onions.
6. Heat a wok on medium heat, when hot, add oil. Add the cumin and nigella seeds.
7. Once the seeds begin to sizzle, add the turmeric powder. Sauté for 5 seconds or so.
8. Now add the chopped green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds or so.
9. Add the sliced onions. Lower heat to dial #3 and allow the onions to caramelize, this will take about 10 minutes.
10. In the meantime, trim off the okra ends, and slice each piece as follows:
11. After 10 minutes, this is how the onions should look.
12. Add the okra to the sautéed onions. Combine. Increase the heat to dial #5 (medium heat). Allow the okra to cook for 5 minutes.
13. After 5 minutes, add the red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Combine.
14. Cover with a lid. Lower the heat to dial #3. Allow this to cook for 15-20 minutes. Keep checking in between and stir to avoid burning. The steam will cook the okra down.
15. Now slice the tomatoes.
16. This is how the okra should look.
17. Now add the tomatoes and season with salt. Combine.
18. Cover with a lid. Cook for another 15 minutes. Keep checking in between and stir.
19. Now chop some fresh cilantro.
20. Back to the okra, this is what you should have. You may have to smash the tomatoes a bit. Combine.
21. Add mango powder. Optional: If you want to add garam masala, add it now.
22. Add cilantro and turn off the stove. Combine.
23. Serve with roti with raita/yogurt on the side. YUM!