I am an absolute Mexican Food lover! It is soooooo cheesy and flavorful, more importantly, it goes oh so well with those Lime Margheritas! YUM! So here is the recipe for my famous, “9-layer Mexican Dip”. I came up with this recipe years ago, and I’ve enhanced it over the years. I made this recipe for a New Years Eve party, so naturally, it had to be full fat 🙂 However, when I make this appetizer for my family, I usually make this reduced fat. How?
1. Use Tortilla baked chips, instead of fried.
2. Use 2% Reduced Fat cheese.
3. Use Reduced Fat sour cream.
There are so many variations of making this dish… add or remove ingredients and create your own Mexican Dip.
Here are the 9 layers:
2. Sour Cream
3. Taco Bell Sauce
4. Green Pepper
7. Fresh Cilantro
9. Paprika (as garnish)
The Verdict? Most people at the party complimented my dip, try it for your next event, you can’t go wrong with this.
NUTRITION: Beans are an excellent source of Protein and Fiber. Tomatoes and Green Peppers are a great source of Vitamin A and C. In addition, Green Peppers are also a great source of Vitamin B6. Lastly, Cheese is an excellent source of Calcium and Protein.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 1 large party tray – enough for 15 people or so)
- (for the Beans):
- Old El Paso Refried Beans – any 2 cans
- Sour Cream – 1/4 cup (for the beans…. preferable to use Light Sour Cream)
- Water – 1/2 cup (less or more depending on desired consistency)
- McCormick Paprika – 1 tbsp
- Ortega Taco Seasoning – 1.5 tbsp (for the beans)
- (for the Vegetables):
- Scallions – 1 bunch (chopped)
- Plum Tomatoes – 5 (chopped)
- Green Pepper – 1 (chopped)
- Fresh Cilantro – 2 handfuls (chopped)
- Ortega Taco Seasoning – 1 tbsp (for the veggies)
- salt – very little (for the veggies)
- (for the Layers):
- Sour Cream – 4 to 5 big dollups (preferable to use Light Sour Cream)
- Taco Bell Restaurant Sauce – 5 tbsp
- Mexican Cheese or Mild Cheddar Cheese – 1 to 1.5 cups (shredded.. use Reduced Fat)
- (for Garnish):
- McCormick Paprika – sprinkle some on top as garnish
- Sour Cream – 3 small dollups
- (Main Ingredient):
- Tostitos Chips
1. Make the Beans.
2. On medium heat, add the beans to a pot. Allow the beans to warm up before adding the rest of the ingredients – this should take about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the water and 1/4 cup of sour cream.
4. Add 1 tbsp Paprika and 1.5 tbsp Ortega Taco Seasoning.
5. This is the consistency you want to achieve. Allow the beans to warm up before turning off the stove.
6. Pour the beans into the serving platter. Add the Taco Bell Sauce on top of the beans. This will cool while you work on the remaining steps.
TACO BELL is my favorite fast food 🙂 I LOVE THEIR SAUCE!!!
7. Make the veggies mixture.
8. Chop the scallions and green pepper. Combine in a large bowl.
9. Chop the cilantro. Add to the veggie mixture.
10. Chop the tomatoes and drain the excess liquid. Add to the veggie mixture.
11. Add very little salt and 1 tbsp of Taco Seasoning. Combine. Set aside.
12. Now Assemble!! Add the sour cream to the beans platter.
14. Spread out the sour cream, this will combine with the beans and sauce.
15. Add the veggie mixture… looks pretty 🙂
16. Top with any shredded mexican or mild cheddar cheese.
17. Sprinkle some paprika for garnish.
18. Add a few small dollups of sour cream. Hey, it’s a NYE PAR-TAY! Live it up!