Kheer is a really popular Indian dessert. It is often made for religious holidays and Indian festivals. Last week I made Elaichi Kheer on Maha Sankranti. This is a very simple recipe… rice pudding flavored with some cardamom powder and rose water, how can you go wrong with that. Enjoy!
NUTRITION: Milk is an excellent source of Calcium. You can opt to use 1% milk when making this which will bring down the fat.
- Rice – 1/2 cup uncooked
- Milk 1%/2% – 4 cups (I used 2%, 1% will work too)
- Sugar – 4 tbsp (you can use anything between 3-5 tbsp)
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Rose Water – 1/2 tsp
1. On medium heat, add rice and milk to a pot.
2. This is what you should have.
3. The milk and rice will take about 15 minutes to heat up. Keep stirring occassionally to prevent the rice from sticking.
6. Add the sugar, the cardamom powder, and rose water.
8. Stir until there are no lumps, all the cardamom powder dissolves in the milk. Once the milk boils, turn off the stove.
9. Tastes amazing when warm/hot. Serve in a bowl, or wine glass for a fancy party.