This recipe is a special dedication to my brother-in-law, APS. He just got himself a new job and his own place in Pune. He wants to attempt cooking for health reasons and requested me to work on some breakfast items that would be easy enough for him to make. So this one’s for you, APS… I will eventually ask you how this recipe worked out for you and I’ll need answers 🙂 Congratulations on your new job!
So here we go… Poha or Pohe is a traditional Maharashtrian dish. Maharashtra is a state in West India that borders the South Indian states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. So naturally, this dish has a South Indian touch flavored with… curry leaves, mustard seeds, and dry red chillies. In my Mom’s home, this dish was generally made Saturday or Sunday for brunch. It goes perfectly with a nice hot cup of tea. Here is my version of Aloo Poha, however you can choose to add peas and carrots.
- Poha Thick – 2 cups (wash, drain, & set aside)
- Oil – 1.75 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium (diced)
- Potato – 1 medium (diced – very small cubes)
- Green Chillies – 2 (sliced in half)
- Curry Leaves – 8-10 leaves
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 (broken)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Peanuts – handful or 1/4 cup (dry roasted)
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/3 – 1/2 cup
- Juice of 1 Lemon
1. Measure 2 cups of Poha, wash, and set aside.
4. Get your spices ready… you will need to work fast. Mustard seeds, Hing, Turmeric Powder, and Dry Red Chillies.
11. Back to the onion and potato. After 5 minutes, add the red chili powder and salt. Stir.
12. Lower the heat to dial #3. Cover with a lid and allow this mixture to cook for 15 minutes, or until the pototo is edible and soft. Stir in between.
13. Check on the peanuts, this is what you want.
14. Check on the onion and potato mixture, this is the look you want. Make sure the potato is edible.
15. Add the peanuts to the mixture and combine.
16. Add the poha.
17. Combine and salt generously.
18. Top with lemon juice. I used the juice of 1 lemon, you can use less if you’d like.