NUTRITION: Whole wheat bread is a great source of Fiber. Tomatoes and Green Peppers are a great source of Vitamin A and C. In addition, Green Peppers are also great source of Vitamin B6. Lastly, Cheese is a great source of Calcium and Protein.
INGREDIENTS: (for Panini – makes 4 to 5 panini sandwiches)
- Whole Wheat bread
- Plum Tomato – 2 (chopped)
- Green Pepper – 1 (chopped)
- Scallion – 1 bunch (chopped)
- Cilantro Leaves – 1 handful (chopped – reserve 1 tbsp for the sauce)
- Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix – 1 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- pepper – very little
- Mexican or Mild Cheddar Cheese – (grated) enough to cover slice (demonstrated below)
- Olive Oil – need very little to brush 1 side of the bread slice
Get Recipe for Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce
1. Chop tomatoes, scallion, green pepper, and cilantro.
2. Mix in a bowl and season with very little salt and pepper, and taco seasoning. Set aside your veggie mix.
3. Make the Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce.
4. Take 2 slices of bread, brush olive oil lightly on 1 side of the bread. The oil-coated part of the bread will touch the Panini Press.
6. Add veggie mix.
7. Top with Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce.
8. Add very little cheese this time. Again, this binds the sandwich together.
9. Top the sandwich with the oil-coated slice touching the Panini Press.
10. Close Panini Press (I use Cusinart). Cook until light turns green.
11. I love those grill marks 🙂 Cut into triangles and enjoy!