This cake reminds me of my girlfriends for some reason. It is a perfect Sunday afternoon cake with the girls, gossip, and a cuppa. 🙂 I definitely will be baking this over and over again! Thanks Ina – she’s genius!
- I made 2/3’s of the original recipe which brought the butter down to 8 tbsp. I went ahead and cut out 50% of the butter in the cake, only using 4 tbsp, which is still quite a bit, but hey, it’s cake.
- recipe calls for full fat sour cream, I used a 1/4 cup of full fat sour cream and use 3/4 cup of low fat yogurt. It works!!! I didn’t have any light sour cream on hand, I would have much rather used light.
- For the Streusel, I didn’t use all the butter, just 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of Canola Oil.
- I skipped the walnuts and glaze. The glaze is so unnecessary for a cake with so much flavor, not to mention all the sugar in the glaze. Unnecessary calories! I simply used 1 tsp of confectioners sugar for presentation.
- Lastly, I replaced 2/3 cup of Cake Flour with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.
~ yields 12 generous slices using 2/3’s of the original recipe @ 350 degrees.
~ lowered fat by 39%; lowered calories by 20% (using my modifications)
INGREDIENTS for cake:
- Cake Flour – 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 2/3 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 1/3 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/3 tsp
- Salt – 1/3 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Egg – 2 large whole
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Sour Cream – 1/4 cup (optional: use Light Sour Cream)
- Low Fat Yogurt – 3/4 cup
- Brown Sugar – 2.5 tbsp
- White Flour – 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Canola Oil – 1 tbsp