Aloo Gobi (Potato & Cauliflower sautéed with Onions)
Aloo Gobi is one of my absolute favorite North Indian dishes, to be exact, my third favorite. You may recall this dish from the famous movie, "Bend it Like Beckham", where Jasminder (played by Praminder Nagra) is playing with the cauliflower head, while her mom is trying to teach her how to make "Aloo Gobi." There are a number of variations on making this dish. Aloo Gobi is a traditional dish in any Punjabi household. It goes best with roti.
NUTRITION: Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Fiber. It is a very good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Folic Acid.
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
Ginger - 1 inch piece (chopped)
Green Chilies - 3 (chopped)
Onions - 2 medium (chopped)
Cauliflower - 1 (cut into florets)
Potatoes - 2 medium (peeled & diced into cubes)
Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Fresh Cilantro Leaves - handful (chopped)
Salt to taste
1. Chop the onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
2. Heat a wok on medium heat. Once hot, add oil. Add cumin seeds.
3. Once they sizzle, add turmeric powder. Sauté for 15 seconds or so.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for 30 seconds or so.
5. Add the onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add salt.
6. In the meantime, cut the cauliflower into florets.
7. This is how the onions should look after 5-7 minutes... golden.
8. Add the cauliflower to the onion mixture.
9. Now add salt, chili powder, and coriander powder. Combine.
10. In the meantime, peel and chop the potatoes into bite size cubes.
11. Add the potatoes to the wok. Combine.
12. Cover and simmer on low heat (dial #3) for 25-30 minutes. Keep checking in between.
13. This is what you should have after 25-30 minutes.
14. Add garam masala. Adjust salt.
15. Chop fresh cilantro. Add on top and Combine. Turn off the stove.